PST returns to dive market

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoosier

Contributor
Reaction score
PST Scuba extends an open invitation to attendees and fellow exhibitors at DEMA Show 2006 to visit us at Booth #2182.
E-Series steel diving cylinders, featuring PST Scuba’s original hot dipped galvanized finish, will be on display, and our staff is ready to share both product and company news.
PST’s reorganization earlier this year led to renewed focus on our core product lines of scuba diving tanks and aircraft cylinders. PST’s long-planned relocation to Cudahy, Wisconsin was completed in September. New production facilities and equipment, improved inventory control, and a firm commitment to customer service are the driving forces behind a “new and improved” PST Scuba.
Recognized for innovative cylinder design, quality and safety, PST Scuba is excited to bring our original E-Series steel scuba tank line back to the DEMA Show. We look forward to seeing many of you in Orlando.
For more information on PST Scuba steel diving cylinders, please visit our web site at www.pstscuba.com

</SPAN>

They are trying to get DOT authority to stamp E-9791 on remaining shells from the old Pressed Steel Tank and are trying to get another exemption to bring in Korean cylinders under the PST brand. This is not Pressed Steel Tank but PST, LLC don't confuse the two.

royalediver:
They are trying to get DOT authority to stamp E-9791 on remaining shells from the old Pressed Steel Tank and are trying to get another exemption to bring in Korean cylinders under the PST brand. This is not Pressed Steel Tank but PST, LLC don't confuse the two.

Interesting info..

I was told that the company was bought by Korean investor. But, I have never heard that any Korean manufactures are making the scuba tanks...

NK cylinder of Korea will be the manufacturer of PST, LLC cylinders. PST will not be manufacturing but distributing under the PST name.

royalediver:
NK cylinder of Korea will be the manufacturer of PST, LLC cylinders. PST will not be manufacturing but distributing under the PST name.

Oh~~~ I see. I will dig out some more info about NK cylinder....

Based on your previous post, you seemed to believe that the cylinder made in Korea is inferior to the former PST cylinders. :confused:

I'm not making any comments on quality-I've not seen any cylinders. All I am refering to is it is not Pressed Steel Tank.

I am not sure what will be different between non-US manufactured cylinder and PST manufactured one as long as PST decides to sell it at the market. I prefer the automobile made in Japan to the one main in U.S.
wink.gif

If your information is right, we can&#8217;t see the PST cylinder anytime soon. The factory is still being built at this moment. As you see the reference below, NKCF is a joint venture company, not the sole Korean company. The MSC&#8217;s share is much higher (more than 60%) than the Korean investment. In addition, their production capacity is estimated about 300,000 cylinders per year.

November 21, 2005, Busan, South Korea: NKCF Co., Ltd., the first company to begin construction within the Busan Science & Industrial Park, will hold its ground-breaking ceremony on November 22 at 2:30 p.m. within the Jisa Foreign Investment Zone (Jisa FIZ) at Block 2, the site of their new facilities. A total of 300 people are expected to attend including Busan Mayor Hur Nam Sik, Busan-Jinhae FEZ Authority Commissioner Chang Soo-Man and CEO of MSC Helmute Korte.

NKCF Co., Ltd., is a joint venture creation between NK of Korea and MSC of the US. Their investment within the Busan-Jinhae Free Economic Zone includes plans to construct a compressed gas tank factory as well as a facility that produces natural gas tanks for vehicles. The total FDI amount of their investment is US $24 million.

Their facilities within the Jisa FIZ will cover a total land area of 66,000 m2 and a floor space of 32,403 m2. The construction of their site is scheduled for completion in 2007 yet they will begin producing from their Jisa factories by the end of 2006. NKCF intends to hire a total of 400 employees from the Busan area to work at their new factories.

Apparently what is happening is that PST is shipping most of the manfacturing equipment to Korea, so the new tanks will be formed, spun and heat treated there, then shipped here for machining, galvanizing and hydrotesting. PST will as a result no longer have the ability to completely manufacture a tank in this country. Even though the new tanks will be identical to the old ones this will require a new exemption since the manufacturer will have changed. However, the Korean company is supposedly already DOT-certified so getting the new exemption should not be a problem.

PST says they intend to continue to maintain the 9791 exemption indefinately so the old tanks will remain DOT-legal (pointing out to me that it would be suicide for them not to, something Norris should have considered).

They are also working on renewing the Canadian TC SU4349 exemption for the 9791 tanks. This had somehow expired in '05 or so without anyone noticing it, so those tanks have been illegal in Canada since then! PST LLC was planning on renewing the exemption when they applied for a TC exemption for the Korean tanks, but have since been prevailed upon to make it a priority, and are working with TC now to fix things.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom