PST HP100 Steel Tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi, Pug; I wanted to see what the "oxy hacker" had to say before telling you how to transfer NITROX using a single stage regulator as the demand valve. Lately, I've had problems with people citing obscure sources, definitions and such, so I'm sure you understand. Bygones.

Basically, I don't agree with what the Hacker said. It appears that they have never done this before. I give them credit for being aware of it though. As I said, it's an old trick. There is nothing "fussy" about it and it needn't be restricted to a permanent installation as they implied.

I'm not very good at technical explanations but I can answer your questions. I have done this transfer with each of my two compressors. One is a 5cfm Bauer and the other is a gas portable unit rated 4cfm.

Starting at the compressor; the inlet on my compressor is 1" ID. Looking at the regulator(without hoses), the outlet of the Mistral regulator is 1" ID. I attach a six foot length of 1" ID flexible, clear plastic tubing from the compressor to the regulator. Snug fit.

The regulator is a single stage US Divers Mistral manufactured in 1968. It has a yoke screw which is attached to the tank valve in the normal way except for one detail which I will explain.

Since it is necessary to monitor the pressure in the tank supplying the gas, and since the regulator and valve are not configured to allow this, it is necessary to use a special adapter to connect the SPG. The adapter is an obsolete US Divers product which attaches to the SPG hose and is fitted between the regulator and the valve. Physically, this adapter is brass, about 1 1/2 inches long and has a flat face with an O ring. The adapter has 3/8 thread(used on old SPGs). Note: the adapter will only fit late 60's-early 70's regs with the long yoke. This yoke was installed by the factory at time of manufacture specifically for this purpose.

In simple terms, turn on the tank valve to pressurize the regulator, and fire up the compressor. Pump the residual gas into any approved cylinder. The regulator will function as described through a supply pressure range of 2000-200 psi.

The Mistral regulator, if stored in decent conditions will last almost forever. Check the diaphragm with a flashlight as this part is subject to rapid flexing during the operation. If in doubt, open the regulator case. There is basically one other moving part, the high pressure seat. If it leaks, these may be hard to find but a small leak is of no consequence to your operation.

How did I know to do this originally? That's what old timers do, remember stuff. Before it was adapted for diving, the two hose regulator was used to feed natural gas to automobile engines in war time Europe. Gasoline was in short supply.

Why does it work? Because, technically, the Mistral is not a regulator at all, it is a demand valve. As such, the full force of tank pressure is available at all times, instantaneously. This is one reason that Cousteau's team used it exclusively in deep dives. It cannot be "over breathed".

PS: did you read about the Hacker "bag" trick? What a hoot.

Originally posted by devjr
Hi, Pug; I wanted to see what the "oxy hacker" had to say before telling you how to transfer NITROX using a single stage regulator as the demand valve.

PS: did you read about the Hacker "bag" trick? What a hoot.

Thanks for the great description Devjr....

The part I was having a hard time understanding was the *pressure gauge* for the donor tank... didn't know about the adapter....

It's a moot point for me but interesting none the less.... I used to have several double hose regs laying around... sold them on ebay... the Crown Mistral sold to a guy in Japan for $535 IIRC.

P.S. yup...and you're right... it's a hoot.... and a "POP"

I'm not surprised. The Royal Mistral was the world's only balanced single stage regulator and very rare. They were produced for only two years. If I were to guess, I'd bet that the reg was purchased by that rich Japanese collector. Anyway, you are welcome.

Edit: oops, I see the Japanese guy did buy it.

Hi Ari:

The company Asahi makes steel 100’s and are usually marked under the name of Genesis. The Genesis steel tanks are approximately 4 pounds heavier than the Pressed Steel tanks and stand about 2” taller. I use both Pressed Steel & Asahi / Genesis tanks but I like the Genesis more because I can take weight off my belt.

Dive Safe …………….Arduous

Negative buoyancy can be an asset when a heavy exposure suit is worn. Since you use the Asahi perhaps you can comment further. For example, what type of exterior coating does the tank have? Is it hot dip galvo, paint, or what? Does the interior cylinder wall have any kind of coating? What is the pressure rating? Is it "plus" rated? Why is the tank 2 inches longer, is it slimmer than the PST? What is the neck size? What type of valve is normally supplied? What is the dry weight of the tank?

TIA

Not sure just what the exterior coating is. It has the look of a galvanized tank, but I know that it is not galvanized. I don’t believe it’s painted either, it looks like some kind of zinc type coating. It’s durable and doesn’t peal. Not sure if the interior is coated, I’ll have to ask the tanks inspector, ( they were just inspected this past January ). They are a high pressure steel rated for a working pressure of 3500 and yes they are + rated. The tank stands about 2 inches taller that the Pressed Steel, because Pressed Steel has a flat bottom to the tank and the Asahi has a rounded bottom, which requires the tank to have an elongated boot. This longer boot makes the tank stand taller than the Pressed Steel. The neck size if you mean length is approximately an inch long. A high pressure DIN valve comes standard with the tank. Dry weight I’m not sure of, but I can find this out for you.
I have both Pressed Steel and Asahi tanks and really don’t have any documentation on hand for them. I will say that both have served me well. The exterior finishes on both tanks stand up to some abuse and the valves function well. I tent to like diving with the Asahi tanks because they are heavier and allow me to take about 4 pounds off my weighting. If you’d like I could snap a picture of the two tanks side by side so that you could make a comparison.

Dive Safe …………... Arduous

Thanks, great description. Evidently the Asahi has the same neck as the PST, 7/8-14. Plus rated? Wow.

Evidently, the Asahi has a "metallized" zinc finish. This is applied by a flame spraying process in which zinc wire is fed into a plasma gun. I used to take my war surplus tanks to "San Diego Sandblasting" to have this done. Lasts about 10 years.

No picture but can you tell me if the word "spun" is on the shoulder? That would explain most of what you said, the rounded bottom, weight and length.

OK, thanks, Tavi. Yes, Ivy says that the Asahi is made from tubing which means it is probably "spun", and similar to some of the Heiser tanks. Beauchat sells Heisers and they are really heavy and negative.

PST (and Faber) make their tanks in presses, hence, Pressed Steel Tank. Starting with a solid billet the tanks are pressed or drawn out using monster hydraulic rams. Asahi is apparently using furnaces or electromagnetic heating to neck down the ends of precut lengths of steel tubing, producing a threaded neck on one end and plugging the bottom end. The metal on the bottom has to be pretty thick to achieve the required strength, and can account for the extra length and weight. I'm thinking that they aren't as heavy as the Heisers, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom