PST HP100 Steel Tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Warhammer & Netdoc,
1. Are these nitrox fills that you are getting?
2. Can you get them while you wait or do you have to leave the tanks for filling?

Ari... I thought about mentioning the HP120 as they would be long enough to give you good trim... but being HP blending is still an issue. HP100 are actually shorter that AL80.

Actually, high pressure fills can be made from a low pressure bank containing NITROX(<40%). The storage bottle is fitted with a pigtail or adapter that has a "yoke block". The purpose of the adapter is to allow connection of a single stage double hose regulator. The outlet pipe of the regulator is fed to an air compressor intake; Not a monster compressor, let's say 5 cfm, and with good, clean filtration. Using the compressor, pump the mix directly into the HP100 or whatever. You are good to go.

Only a single stage regulator such as the "Mistral" should be used.

a 3,000 psi fill? Do i lose a lot?

Most tanks that I pick up, rentals, at my LDS are 200-215 Atm., which is around 3,000 psi.

They will fill air or Nitrox to this level.

What about converting my reg, Mares MR12 to DIN? Can anyone give me a good advice here?

Ari :D

Originally posted by devjr
Actually, high pressure fills can be made from a low pressure bank containing NITROX(<40%).

Using the compressor, pump the mix directly into the HP100 or whatever. You are good to go.

Only a single stage regulator such as the "Mistral" should be used.

devjr... have you actually done this yourself? :wink:

The proceedure you outline is very ineffecient...
First you have to run the compressor to blend EAN into the bank...
Then you have to run the compressor to feed the EAN (metered into the compressor intake at ambient) to pump up the dive cylinder. You are in effect doubling the effort by handling the gas twice! :banging:

Better to have HP storage (4500psi) for HP tanks (3500psi) or MP storage (3500psi) for LP tanks (2640psi) but not MP storage for HP fills!

The best of course is Omar's HP storage for Lp fills....:D

Originally posted by Ari
Thanks for the info uncle.

But can you elaborate on this?

What would you recomend as a primary tank, for a big guy, 6'4", 208 lb.? With my wetsuit and vest, I use about 20-24# of lead, with an 80 CF ALU. I would like to move to a bigger steel, in order to cut down on the lead, get some more BT and avoid being pulled up by the empty tank.

My dives, at least up until now, are OW down to aroun 30+ meters. I use Nitrox and want to get more technical in the future.

Ari :confused:

LP PST104 to use as a single only. That'll knock off quite a bit of weight, but still allow you a sufficient amount of ditchable weight. If you go technical with a wetsuit, double your 80's, or get a drysuit and double up the steels.

Mike

I'm not suggesting the regulator setup for a professional mixer. This is an old trick used to reclaim mix from partially spent bottles, dive tanks, etc. When draining partially spent tanks the pressure should be watched. I use an old fashioned insert(tongue adapter) which allows a standard SPG to be connected to the double hose reg.

Ari: sounds like you are spinning your wheels. You would be wise to consider purchase of a Faber LP tank. These tanks are sold internationally; this, and the low pressure rating, would make it easier to interact with local dive shops as your tech career advances. Also, you could forego purchase of a new reg.

Originally posted by devjr
I'm not suggesting the regulator setup for a professional mixer. This is an old trick used to reclaim mix from partially spent bottles, dive tanks, etc. When draining partially spent tanks the pressure should be watched. I use an old fashioned insert(tongue adapter) which allows a standard SPG to be connected to the double hose reg.

Interesting...
Have you actually tried this??
With what kind of compressor??
I need some 'splainin' on that last couple of sentences....
"watch the pressure"? "old fashioned insert"? "tongue adapter"?

BTW I know that Oxy-Hacker has a little blurb in there about using a double hose reg. as a demand valve for the compressor.

Just be interesting to hear from someone who has actually done it.

Originally posted by Uncle Pug
Warhammer & Netdoc,
1. Are these nitrox fills that you are getting?
2. Can you get them while you wait or do you have to leave the tanks for filling?

Ari... I thought about mentioning the HP120 as they would be long enough to give you good trim... but being HP blending is still an issue. HP100 are actually shorter that AL80.

Yes, nitrox is about all I dive anymore, shallow, deep, and just about everything inbetween. Just easier that way for the most part. never leave home without it.

And yes, I can get them filled while I wait, or i can leave for an hour or so and come back, or a month or 2 and come back. Makes no difference, I get a good fill everytime regardless. I don't think I've ever gotten less than 3450 PSI from my LDS, but it's usually around 3550 PSI or so. How do they do the quickies? They don't. I don't think I've ever been in the store without staying at least an hour, and usually 2, 3, or so. Never really paid any attention to how long it took them to fill the tanks, they are alwasy ready before I am though. :)

But since I do not dive your schedule, I can drop them off in the am and pick them up in the pm, or in a few days. My LDS is within 10 minutes of home, and I probably spend more time there than I should. I definately spend more money there than I should!

Back
Top Bottom