PST...From the "Horse's Mouth."

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StSomewhere:
Enough with the sock puppetry, instead of insinuating that you know some inside information, why not just share it out in the open?

???? Insinuating what? I pulled a D&B on them (which stands for Dunn & Bradstreet) but I'd rather not share the results publicly. That's kinda how company's can be forced into the "B" word.

Besides, all the "insinuating" was already done by state officials as reported on this link:

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/9307791/

which was part of the original thread:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=112079

6. In the event an exemption is not renewed, individuals who already own tanks may apply for their own ("non-manufacturer's") exemption, which is good for 2 years (maybe 4 years in the near future). This sounds good, and please don't take my word for it because I may have misunderstood, but contact DOT if this ever becomes a relevant reality. Costs and procedures were not discussed.

Can yo imagine having to file for your own exemption from the government. Every commercial location that fills them will need to have acopy on file. Imagine a paper copy for evey divers set of PST tanks. If this happens you won't be able to get in the door of some stores-paper will block the way.

StSomewhere:
Jeez, then just say so.

The only people who can pull them into the "B word" is their creditors, and I'm sure they are well aware of their "D&B" status (yeah, I'm slightly familiar with D&B).

Creditors AND the company itself ... to avoid creditors.

I won't go into specifics. You or anyone else can pull a D&B on their own but there is a reason why a state official mentioned in the above link stated:

The company is awaiting word on whether it will be approved for $3 million in New Market Tax Credits from the federal government, said John Stibal, community development director for the city of West Allis.

.... A decision is likely to be made by mid-September, Stibal said.

.... If the financing falls through, Pressed Steel likely will "just close up shop," Stibal said.

I think I can share the fact that it doesn't seem likely anyone (trade creditors or banks) are extending credit on an unsecured basis. No financials are disclosed but the $3 million should go a long way for the company.

Sorry for the caginess but in today's Sarbanes-Oxley/Elliot Spitzer environment, I'm a bit wary about sharing information ...

Any statements made by the writer shall in no respective be intrepreted as a statement of fact but is solely an opinion expressed by the writer. The writer does not warrant the accuracy, completeness or timeliness of any of the “Information” shared. Readers should exercise their own due-deligence in evaluating the truthfulness or accuracy of the information shared.

Etc. Etc.

lamont:
I wonder if someone could point out to the DOT that there are people who are considering it a better choice to take DOT-3AA LP steel tanks and pump them up to 3500 psi, instead of buying the 3500 psi rated tanks that require exemptions. An actual high pressure steel standard would be more consumer friendly and would help promote compliance.

Faber also has tanks that are rated at 3495 (includes 10% overfil, 3180 without), that has a 3AA stamp and doesnt require an exemption.

royalediver:
Can yo imagine having to file for your own exemption from the government. Every commercial location that fills them will need to have acopy on file. Imagine a paper copy for evey divers set of PST tanks. If this happens you won't be able to get in the door of some stores-paper will block the way.

I don't think this part is true. An expiring exemption will be a problem for hydro testing but in most cases it will not be a problem before the hydro expires.

UPDATE...I received an email and a phone call today from DOT. It appears that PST has already applied for, and been approved for the E9791 exemption renewal as of today, September 16, 2005. The exemption is valid thru August 31, 2007, provided the company stays in business.

After receiving dozens of phone calls from anxious consumers inquiring about this, apparently PST decided to go ahead with the renewal process. DOT sent me a copy of the actual 14 page renewal approval, and Jonnythan has posted it in the next post for me. DOT said it will be posted on their web site soon for everyone to see.

DOT also verified that individuals who already own PST tanks may apply for their own exemptions in the event the company folds. DOT does not charge anything for this process according to the official I spoke with.

For those of you who have sent private messages to me, I do not plan to pursue this issue any further. There is an established way for us to keep and use our tanks in the worst case scenario, and since there is no way anyone can really predict the long-term success or failure of a company, I don't see any use in pounding this to death and worrying so much about it. I can only speculate at this point. Hopefully, PST will prosper in their new location, and no single company will have a monopoly on the type of tanks many of us like so much.

I appreciate all of the great replies to this thread.

Thank you!

I have new PST HP 119, I bought these in June. Am I going to have problems with them. They cost me 900$can for the pair.

Back
Top Bottom