PST E Series Nitrox Ready ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

you'll find Christolube and what appear to be perfectly ok seats.

I know what it SAYS on the paperwork (I've got three of those tanks and the letters) but I suspect its a CYA move since PST isn't the actual manufacturer of the valves.

If it bothers you, tear them down or have them O2-cleaned. I took a peek and didn't see anything I didn't like - and I PP fill mine.

the paperwork in the box CLEARLY STATES THAT THE TANK IS O2-CLEAN FROM THE FACTORY.

If your LDS wants to force you to clean them, then let them clean ONLY THE VALVE.

to see what they tell you when you go to pick it up.

I bet they tell you that it was fine inside.....

They might not check though, and just take it apart and throw the pieces in the Ultrasonic cleaner, then do the usual regime on them.

I, on the other hand, took 'em apart and stuck the pieces under a black light to see if I could discover any contaminents. Since the lube was clearly a flourocarbon-based (e.g. Christolube or Krytox) substance, and the seat looked like it was just fine, the only other possibility for trouble that I could figure might be present was some kind of contamination.

I couldn't find so much as a trace of it, and I haven't blown up yet :)

That's one of the advantages (and disadvantages) of your own fill and mixing station. Its your call, your effort - and your azz if you screw up! :)

Yeah, I read that azz covering letter that PST puts in with all the tanks... They do say the tanks are o2 cleaned...

The valves IMHO, are cleaned for all intents and purposes. There is NO reason to rip them apart and clean them... They are cleaned, and use o2 compatible materials to assemble them... We put o2 clean stickers right on these bad boys right from PST. I have not seen one yet, that is not spotless on the inside of the valve or cylinder...

As a matter of fact, dive shops might actually INTRODUCE contaminants by doing their O2 service... These valves are assembled in a clean environment at the manufacturer...

I would say that they would be cleaner right from PST than AFTER the O2 service at the LDS .

I hope they are not charging you for the O2 cleaning...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom