PST closing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nothing except that if PST folds and does not renew the exemption on their E series cylinders, a lot of people will have some expensive paperweights come their next hydro...

Roak

Heard nothing. The company's seems to be private but I could run a DB on them and see what's up.

Their website states that "PST has the most diverse offering of any cylinder manufacturer in North America. We are the supplier of CNG cylinders for the Chevrolet C-2500 and GM Sierra 2500 pickup trucks, the Ford Crown Victoria passenger car and Freightliner's two-ton United States Postal Service (USPS) vans. PST produces SCUBA tanks and aviation air and oxygen cylinders. We manufacture DOT-3AA high-pressure cylinders and accumulator shells. "

The good news is that with the high price of gasoline many car makers are beefing up their fuel cell technolgies where CNG is the main fuel (and the demand for cylinders). The bad new is that the technology is still years away from being mainstream (except for certain city buses applications and other limited "experiments").

Hope they manage to survive though ... they seem to have a good product.

I think the worthington galvanized HPs are also E9791 and probably the same TC stamp as well, so they should pick it up from PST.

If worthington has their **** even halfway together, I won't shed a tear if PST folds...

PST had to relocate their shop due to an eminent domain action by the city. I heard they also lost a major contract (was it the auto cylinder contract), but at that time it sounded like they were going to refocus their efforts and remain in business.

lamont:
I think the worthington galvanized HPs are also E9791 and probably the same TC stamp as well, so they should pick it up from PST.

If worthington has their **** even halfway together, I won't shed a tear if PST folds...

Worthington's exemption is E-14157
TC Canada exemption is TCSU4957

lamont:

each manufacturer gets its own exemption.., its an exemption number not a certification number..

http://hazmat.dot.gov/exempapp/exemptions/docs/09000/E09791.pdf
It appears the exempton isup in about 4 months

wothington
http://hazmat.dot.gov/exempapp/exemptions/docs/14000/E14157.pdf

heh, hilarious. so the DOT-3AA regs are the only ones that are used by more than one company? i can see how that would make 'sense' to someone at DOT in charge of the regs...

so what does happen now if PST folds then? i know of at least one dive shop that i'm sure will still happily be filling E9791 tanks, but what is the letter of the law?

lamont:
heh, hilarious. so the DOT-3AA regs are the only ones that are used by more than one company? i can see how that would make 'sense' to someone at DOT in charge of the regs...

so what does happen now if PST folds then? i know of at least one dive shop that i'm sure will still happily be filling E9791 tanks, but what is the letter of the law?

once the exemption expires its illegal to fill the tanks.

see the page 13 section 11last paragraph of the document I gave a link to.

noneed to change the regs just make tankes that meet the regs.. he new faber cyliders are still 3aa

Time to apply for a renewal is running short.. It has to be filed 60 days prior to the expiration to put the expiration on hold until adminstartion is complete.. otherwise it expires on the date listed..

lamont:

see page 12 section e of the exemption

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom