PST closing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Kraken:
For the life of me I can't understand how a tank loses its ability to hold compressed air just because some certificate issued by the government has expired.

If it was structurally sound before the expiration, then it's structurally sound afterwards.

That's a crock.

Just my opinion on the matter.

the K

Trying to apply logic to law is not logical.

DOH!!!!
Just comes with the age . . . .

the K

Same as how a car can stop running, just because you forget to renew its registration.

Actually, it's because the DOT is (supposedly) reviewing the numbers each time the exemption is renewed, to see that problems aren't developing with the tank.

The Kraken:
For the life of me I can't understand how a tank loses its ability to hold compressed air just because some certificate issued by the government has expired.

Please forgive my ignorance in matter, but how can that actually affect the integrety of a tank?

If they were acceptable at the time of manufacture according to DOT, how can they suddenly become defective?

That's probably a rhetorical question, but it begs to be asked.

the K

K, I'm not sure when PST designed the tanks nor when they got their first exemption but if I am reading oxyhacker's post right, they, the DOT, is gathering data every year and seeing if the tanks are indeed holding up or if the tanks should have a limited life span, due to documented failures.

Am I not correct that in Europe, the fiber wrapped 4,500 psi tanks have a specific life span EVEN if they test OK?

I guess that part of the exemption renewal process is to verify that the tanks should have no restrictions.

I've emailed PST and asked 'em to have a look at this thread and give us the straight word.
Rick

Thank you, Sensei . . .
Your wisdom prevails, as always.

the K

MikeC:
K, I'm not sure when PST designed the tanks nor when they got their first exemption but if I am reading oxyhacker's post right, they, the DOT, is gathering data every year and seeing if the tanks are indeed holding up or if the tanks should have a limited life span, due to documented failures.

Am I not correct that in Europe, the fiber wrapped 4,500 psi tanks have a specific life span EVEN if they test OK?

It's the same in North America - fiber-wrapped tanks have a 15-year service life and must be tested every 3 years.

There are plenty of problems that can develop in a cylinder design over time, so it makes sense to review the exemption every once and a while to see that the tanks are still working as they should. Neck cracking in old aluminum tanks are a good example (although not serious enough to disqualify them from service).

Rick Murchison:
I've emailed PST and asked 'em to have a look at this thread and give us the straight word.
Rick
Which means we should hear from them in about 6 months. Make that 12 months. Maybe 18 months. :D

PST makes a great tank and all of their staff that I've met have been nice but they are trying to make a go of it in an industry that has been in the outhouse in this country for decades.

Everybody laughed at me when the new tanks came out and I started buying LP104's... :11:

Im new to diving so i dont reallt understand all this DOT stuff. I just spent 800 dollars on two pst hp 120's am i going to have to eat them if the company goes out of business? Or am i misreading this thread? Man i hope im mis reading this! :11:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom