Question Are both of these 104s?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PEDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Purchased both of these recently. I believe they are both PST 104s born in 2001 and 2002. Both are 8” in diameter and have a rated pressure of 2400. However, one is slightly longer than the other: approx. lengths are 26.5” and 25.5” which don’t seem to line up with any of the online spec sheets I’ve seen (Huron’s says the PST 104 is 26.88 which is close to the first one). But 1” difference? Otherwise they look identical. You can see the rough height difference in the attached photo. Are these both 104s? Has anyone come across a difference line this?

Attachments

• ECDF344B-0CAB-4FA8-8007-8392D3549120.jpeg
    ECDF344B-0CAB-4FA8-8007-8392D3549120.jpeg
    132.1 KB · Views: 40
What boots do they have? Some boots are taller than others. Knock the boots off and then compare heights.

What boots do they have? Some boots are taller than others. Knock the boots off and then compare heights.

No boots on them. They were originally configured as a set of doubles from the previous owner who was a cave diver. Intending to use them as deep bailouts but confused on why there is a 1” difference in height if they are both supposedly 104s and only born one year apart.

If they are different heights they are different tanks. It's HIGHLY unusual (not to mention unsafe due to stress on manifold) for different tanks to get doubled.

If they are different heights they are different tanks.

I don’t know. They are both marked PST 3AA2400. Looking at spec sheets online, it looks like PST created two 104 cuft tanks (the LP104 and the E8-130). Now obviously one is LP and the other is HP but the specs for the LP are 26.8” and the specs for the HP are 25.5”. Almost exactly what I’m seeing for mine - the only difference both of mine are LP. I have not been able to find anything else manufactured by PST that share those specs so closely. That or one year had slightly different manufacturing tolerances for the same tank.

I don’t know. They are both marked PST 3AA2400. Looking at spec sheets online, it looks like PST created two 104 cuft tanks (the LP104 and the E8-130). Now obviously one is LP and the other is HP but the specs for the LP are 26.8” and the specs for the HP are 25.5”. Almost exactly what I’m seeing for mine - the only difference both of mine are LP. I have not been able to find anything else manufactured by PST that share those specs so closely. That or one year had slightly different manufacturing tolerances for the same tank.
It's odd but if you are planning to dive as single tanks then it's not really a big deal.

It's odd but if you are planning to dive as single tanks then it's not really a big deal.

They’re going to be used as SM bailout for CCR. The 1” won’t really make much of a difference there either. But I’m just very curious since this is kind of a mystery to me, also want to make sure I am using the right capacity in my bailout calculations.

Purchased both of these recently. I believe they are both PST 104s born in 2001 and 2002. Both are 8” in diameter and have a rated pressure of 2400. However, one is slightly longer than the other: approx. lengths are 26.5” and 25.5” which don’t seem to line up with any of the online spec sheets I’ve seen (Huron’s says the PST 104 is 26.88 which is close to the first one). But 1” difference? Otherwise they look identical. You can see the rough height difference in the attached photo. Are these both 104s? Has anyone come across a difference line this?
What is the born on date for both tanks? If they aren't the same year, it isn't uncommon for them to vary that much. Steel tanks used to vary a lot. I used to have a set of wonky double 104s. If you use a long neck valve on one side and a standard on the other side, you can clean up about 1/2" of difference.

What is the born on date for both tanks? If they aren't the same year, it isn't uncommon for them to vary that much. Steel tanks used to vary a lot. I used to have a set of wonky double 104s. If you use a long neck valve on one side and a standard on the other side, you can clean up about 1/2" of difference.

5-01 and 7-02. Not the same year so maybe that’s the culprit. Hadn't thought of using a long neck and standard valve to compensate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom