PSI regulations pertaining to dip tube and vip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

$35 is a bargain, if one can make it to DEMA.

However a lot of the PSI instructors in the field seem to be charging a lot more. Some as much as half the price of the full course, $150 or so, either for a dedicated update class, or to let an inspector retake the main course when they don't offer a specific refresher. Just another drop in the bucket for a full time scuba professional maybe, but a major bite for a non-shop individual who just wants to be able to inspect his or her own tanks.

Vance, The PSI update is required every three years at most 4 years if there is a good reason you missed the three year mark (like when I missed it cause of death in the family). The update was $25 last year at DEMA. This year it is $35. Pretty cheap in my book. However, if you go past the 4 year mark you must retake the full course.

But everything else you note is spot on.

BTW I do my own cylinders and have yet to have someone question me - at least locally. But my shops know me.

Hmm, well that sucks. I have been doing mine at DEMA and fall into the catagory you mention - home inspection so yeah I would probably choke if I had to requal at higher rates. At that point I am almost back to my shop rather than recouping my costs.

Any shop that refuses to fill a tank with the valid markings and stickers that are current and up to date has lost my business permanently, unless they will quickly inspect my cylinder at no cost to me.

The VIP thing is an industry imposed regulation, as best as I understand it (though, PSI does require update classes every three years, "as per federal law" that requires those classes. Can anyone explain this to me?). If one shop can't trust another shop, well, something needs to change.

The only policy like that which I would support is for them to refuse to fill cylinders VIP'd by a guy they know does it badly. For example, if all the shops in town refuse to fill a tank vipped by "John" because they know he does a bad job.

It's ok for the shop to be suspicious, but I also won't support a shop that charges me $15 for a vip becuase they are suspicious. Because they are getting the money, that seems to me to be a conflict of interests. The only way for them to remain unbiased is to not charge if they are only testing because they don't like your sticker. If they do charge, then they are making money....conflict of interests. They have a reason other than being suspcious to want to look at your cylinder, your money moving to their pocket. If a shop wants to check my gear without charging me, I'm totally fine with that and will actively support such a shop.

If a shop is so worried that every other shop is doing it wrong, they need medication or a bomb proof mailbox :)

Since you feel so strongly maybe you should go out and get your own 02 bottle and a whip and fill your tanks yourself. If your tank explodes its only you that would get hurt.

As for the shop that is worried about putting 100%02 into a tank thats been filled outside of his shop, yes its a pain to have to do another VIP. But there the ones who are going to get hurt if something got into that tank.

All of this said, some shops who won't fill your tank using partial pressure for the above reasons would be happy to put in banked gas. Not nearly as hazardous

-s

Back
Top Bottom