PSA: Water is still cold.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Easing of restrictions is beginning in New England. This weekend looks pretty good so far. 5-10kts both days. Maybe can actually get in the water for a bit. Then Monday and Tuesday it all goes to hell again. Bye bye vis.

Looks like golf courses are the first up, while dive shops are still getting the shaft unless anyone has heard otherwise.

Easing of restrictions is beginning in New England. This weekend looks pretty good so far. 5-10kts both days. Maybe can actually get in the water for a bit. Then Monday and Tuesday it all goes to hell again. Bye bye vis.

Looks like golf courses are the first up, while dive shops are still getting the shaft unless anyone has heard otherwise.

What LDS do you use? Red has been opened for air fills so I'm told. I mostly don't get this some businesses open some not, for some I get it big crowds enclosed. But with masks and a 5 person limit why would dive shops be closed?

What LDS do you use? Red has been opened for air fills so I'm told. I mostly don't get this some businesses open some not, for some I get it big crowds enclosed. But with masks and a 5 person limit why would dive shops be closed?

I use ECD. MA shops are still "closed" at the moment. We'll see what happens with Monday.

NCEI Coastal Water Temperature Guide - Atlantic Coast: North table

This link shows the current temps in various spots and what the temps were for the same time last year. It shows the water is 10F cooler at the Newport buoy than this time last year. WTF! Where's this warm water the environmental experts keep telling us about? Ya know the warm water that's reducing the lobster population, where is it? Currently the Newport buoy is reporting 47F last year at this time it was 57F. :(

Ya'll realize we are in the third decade of this climate change nonsense, that's 30 years. What's happened? Where's the warmth? Some of those predicted events are 10 years past their original prediction date, so now there are new dates! Ya'll still buying into this?

SST also shows the gulf stream trending a bit south so far this year, so there's some influence also.
This time last year, it headed east around Southern Jersey, this year, its a hard right turn at the Chesapeake. So what difference in temperature that's creating I'm not sure, but I'd guess its worth a few degrees.

Weather does not equal climate. Gulf stream eddies and a multitude of local factors (eg. which direction any given weather system tracks) make water and air temperatures highly variable year to year, but the overall trend for temperatures around the world is trending upwards, driven by well-understood mechanisms, even if this spring is chilly.

NASA - What's the Difference Between Weather and Climate?

As for your question about "predicted events 10 years past their prediction date" There were and are all sorts of theories and ideas and models, none of which are perfect, especially 10 years ago. That doesn't mean the general body of overwhelming evidence for climate change should be thrown out. That's like saying all deco tables are useless because they can't perfectly predict every undeserved hit or miraculous survival.

Weather does not equal climate. Gulf stream eddies and a multitude of local factors (eg. which direction any given weather system tracks) make water and air temperatures highly variable year to year, but the overall trend for temperatures around the world is trending upwards, driven by well-understood mechanisms, even if this spring is chilly.

NASA - What's the Difference Between Weather and Climate?

As for your question about "predicted events 10 years past their prediction date" There were and are all sorts of theories and ideas and models, none of which are perfect, especially 10 years ago. That doesn't mean the general body of overwhelming evidence for climate change should be thrown out. That's like saying all deco tables are useless because they can't perfectly predict every undeserved hit or miraculous survival.

Weather!? I'm talking ocean here. Ain't nothing local bout that. Beside that only works one way, there are examples of local weather being used by climate alarmists to further their point to be found.

Climate change models are as good as the models being used to estimate the current pandemic which have been shown to be next to worthless. It's also why most the predictions have been wrong crap in crap out, models designed to support a theory and give it the illusion of fact.

SST also shows the gulf stream trending a bit south so far this year, so there's some influence also.
This time last year, it headed east around Southern Jersey, this year, its a hard right turn at the Chesapeake. So what difference in temperature that's creating I'm not sure, but I'd guess its worth a few degrees.

I'm hoping this storm will push some of that Gulf Stream water nearer to the coast here to at least bring the water to seasonal temps. It is after all what has the most effect on the ocean temps off England, the sun is secondary to the Gulf Stream for that purpose.

Thinking about it more with the luck we've been having it's likely instead the storm will push the colder deep water up and mix with the warmer surface water, which is usefully what happens,

Weather!? I'm talking ocean here.

I'm hoping this storm will push some of that Gulf Stream water nearer to the coast here to at least bring the water to seasonal temps.

Exactly, atmosphere and ocean are inexorably linked.

Man, on one hand I really want to slug it out over the accuracy of climate change models (they're FAR more refined and better understood than deco algorithms or covid epidemiology). But it sounds like you don't want to hear about it, and everything is ultra-politicized, so I guess it's better to "live and let dive" than derail the thread with a war that's been hashed out millions of times.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom