Provincetown Harbor Map?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shotthebreeze

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Does anyone know where I can get my hands on a decent topograpic map of Provincetown Harbor and Longpoint Beach? I posted a few times before about doing some snorkeling there, but I'd love to dive it now. It's pretty much a huge sandbar, so the diving shouldn't be that deep. There was a wreck hugging the walking wall as you can see from the picture below...its a tiny speck...there are actually a few, but I'd like to know what the depths actually are...any ideas?

provincetown_harbor.jpg

Hey there -
We boat dive Long Point every weekend. I wouldn't recommend shore diving, because of the potential for strong currents and it would be a wicked pain to walk to with all your gear!! If you go, make sure it's early in the morning because in the summer there's a lot of boat traffic and some people don't know/care what the flag means.
It's a pretty simple dive...it's pretty much just a shelf that goes down pretty deep - we're usually in 20-50 feet, but it goes well beyond that.
There is a wreck (I think of the Flyer) - if you look directly at Long Point from the harbor you'll see a rock jetty along the beach. It's somewhere around here, and it's marked with a bouy. In low tide the wreck starts in about 20 feet and goes to about 50...high tide it's a little deeper obviously.
There are more wrecks inside the harbor, but I'd have to talk to a few people to find out where exactly they are.
Long Point is a very strange dive - like I said, Jeff and I do it pretty much every weekend, and each time it looks like we've never been there before. A little creepy but always cool.
Let me know if you want to know anything else.
Lisa

Oh - and about the map -
I have no idea - just know about it from experience!

Hey, thanks a bunch for your help. I usually rent a boat from Flyer's Boat Rentals and go out with some friends. I think the wreck that you mentioned was the one I snorkeled near. It's by the walkway for people who aren't lazy. Do you have any idea what type of ship it was? It used to stand out of the water at low tide. It's been a few years since I've done any sort of snorkeling up there, though.

Back
Top Bottom