Proton42 metal vs. Proton ice extreem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jaycanwk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm thinking of possibly getting the proton42 metal because i want a good cold water reg. It is my understanding, that one of the differences, according to your website, is that the pronton42 is dry sealed where as the prton ice is oil/grease sealed. Other than that, they are both metal second stages and both have heat sinks.

If they are both rated for cold water, and my understanding of "cold" is defined as below 50f/10c, why buy the proton ice?

Last edited:
I'm thinking of possibly getting the proton42 metal because i want a good cold water reg. It is my understanding, that one of the differences, according to your website, is that the pronton42 is dry sealed where as the prton ice is oil/grease sealed. Other than that, they are both metal second stages and both have heat sinks.

If they are both rated for cold water, and my understanding of "cold" is defined as below 50f/10c, why buy the proton ice?

The MR42 Proton Metal can be fitted with a dry sealed unit, but it is an option. The Proton Ice uses silicone oil, and an external diaphragm to keep the ambient water from coming into contact with the internal parts.

The Proton Ice second stage is covered with a polymer that is even more "slicker" than Teflon. It prevents water from beading up on the metal surfaces.

If you are planning to dive in water as cold as 29 degrees Fahrenheit, then it would be your choice. If you are planning to occasionally ice dive or regularly dive in cold water then the Proton Metal will work perfectly fine. I personally own a V42 Proton Metal, and it has become my favorite regulator.

Greg Barlow

Greg has hit the nail on the head. I am sure you will enjoy your new reg!

Best regards

Thanks guys for clearing that up. I think i'm going to go with the 42 metal since it will more than meet my needs and I would prefer a dry sealed 1st stage over an oil sealed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom