Proton Ice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

karlos

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Just wondering if anyone out there has a Mares Proton Ice? I'm thinking about buying one but would like to here some feed back before hand. Most of my diving is done in cold water and for those of you that are about to say the Proton ice ISN'T for cold water, I have been assured by many local dive shops and Mares that it is. It is a lovely reg to hold, very small and tidy. Not had the oppertunity to use one so any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

So what do you want? Do you want us to tell you to buy the Proton Ice then?

You do whatever you want. And when you're ready to come here with an open mind, maybe you'll discover things like the cold water kit for the proton ice is a messy, silicon gell filled thing, while Apeks (and many others) offer a far superior dry environmental seal. But hey - not to worry, you've been "assured," right? Probably by the same people who want to sell you one, right?

Uh huh.

I logged two dives yesterday in 36 degree (balmy) waters in Indiana. I used my Mares V16 first stage without the CWD kit and once again, never experienced a problem. I agree with Boogie that the Mares CWD is far inferior to that of the excellent Apeks design. I don't understand why other manufacturers have not utilized the dry chamber method.

Anyway, my Mares regs use the Proton and Akros second stages. Neither of which is the metal version, although the Akros uses metal inserts. I question as to how much the inserts actually help, but I have yet to have a problem on a single dive in over 350 cold water dives (temps below 50 degrees).

Proper cold water gear is obviously very important. Proper cold water diving protocol is equally, or more importantly so.

BTW, one of my close friends and long time dive buddy, is an ice diving instructor. He also uses Mares regs, and has never installed a CWD on any of his own models. Like me, he has never had a free flow problem either.

We both reduce the IP on our first stages to 135psi and take great care not to stress the first stage by drawing gas from two ports at one time.

I don't mean to imply that Mares regs are the "cream of the crop". I use them for their simplicity, robustness, and ease of breathing. Like I've said in the past, if they were not capable to meet my diving needs then the nod would go to Apeks. I do believe that at this time, they are the best technically oriented regulator on the market. One thing that has kept me from purchasing an Apeks reg is that I have not yet found a source that will allow me to purchase service kits and other related parts. I insist on servicing my own regs, and when the parts availability issue is a mystery it certainly sways my decision.

At this time, I have access to all of the Mares parts that I could ever need. That means a lot when you service your own gear and take the utmost pride in the work that you perform.

I've never missed a dive in over 28 years from gear failure. Many friends say that I am anal when it comes to caring for my gear. It's sort of funny, though, as they want ME to rebuild their regs...My belief is that I treat it like any life support equipment should be cared for.

Greg

I looked over the proton Ice at my LDS. I liked the compact design but, overall I found the purge button to be way too small and stiff. I felt that with gloves on I would not be able to push the purge button easily. Instead of the proton Ice I went with an APEKS atx50. I have not regretted that descision.

After 28 years of diving, I can say that I don't ever recall clearing a second stage with a purge button other than when teaching the technique to students.

Yes, the Proton purge button is stiff. When one considers that the factory service manual states that gas flow should be audible when the purge is pushed but a scant 1.0mm, then you can understand why the tension is that way. If it weren't, then free flows from even slight currents would be common.

Your choice in the Apeks ATX50 is also an excellent one.

I am very impressed with the performance of my two new Protons. I am using one for my single tank long hose rig. The other is on my wife's OW set.

Greg

I have never had a problem from my Proton V16. It has been a great reg on all of the dives that I have been on. Drier than the ATX200 that I used to own, in all positions.

Although I have to admit that I have never had the Apex or Mares in water colder than 40deg. Since I need a dry reg, I hear that the Aqualung Legend LX Supreme or Mares Abyss is the way to go. Good luck in whatever you choose.

Dive Smart; Dive Safe
Enjoy the ride
:cool1:

From what I hear the Proton Ice is deemed a cold water reg however its performance is contrary. It freeflows and does not perform very well in the real cold water

My wife has one and she likes it. It's compact and breathes
easy, and is way overpriced. I would never buy one myself.

Back
Top Bottom