Protection for naked SPG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh, yeah, finish with judicious use of a heat-gun.

The new SPG is an anchor. It’ll be secured to the the BCD most of the time but, with the shared hose-mount compass, it may be out and subject to impingement. I’ve not seen a rubber boot sized specifically for this honker of a gauge and would, indeed, prefer one over this non-removable cover.

what size gauge is it? and remove the hose mounted compass and put it on your wrist or make a nav slate. Horrible to try to use those things and typically quite inaccurate

Made this using 1/8" thickness thermoplastic sheet. It'll need a thorough soak/rinse each time...
View attachment 543075
View attachment 543076

Speck...

Give boots the boot...period...

If you can't live without one...DGX has a thin-line SPG...and a black or green boot to fit it...the thin-line gauge is popular with rebreather owners...but works well with any reg set up...I keep one as a spare...with HP hose and spool...ready to install in an emergency...see attached...

If boots are your thing you need to be able to easily remove and replace following each dive...especially when diving in salt water...

On your DIY boot...salt water will form a negative pressure meniscus between the gauge and boot...and will not rinse...the same thing happens with hose boots...and for this reason...neither should be used..

Finally...not sure if this was the case...but under no circumstances...should heat be applied to the SPG...very sensitive internals...as well as tempered glass...if your SPG was heated and you find it is not reading your cylinder pressure correctly...you'll know why...

Best...

W...

SPG Thinline Boots.jpg

The gauge is new and from DGX. I like a large dial. No worries with heat on the SPG. I'll order a rubber boot to replace the artsy-crafty affair I made.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom