Protecting wetsuits from kids

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

got2av8

Reaction score
:death2: My CHARMING nephew, in an effort to do something sweet for his uncle, decided that a picture would be a memorable gift. Our budding Picasso also decided that the perfect medium would be a Sharpie permanent marker and the yellow panels of a 5 mil IST wetsuit. I'm really not that fond of the suit, mostly BECAUSE of the garish yellow panels, but in the interest of not looking like a :klclown: in front of the fishies, is there anything I can do to get this out?

On a more personally responsible note, I also have a general cleaning question- After my last dive, I neglected to pull my booties (2 mil Mares) out of my gear box to dry, and they now smell like nothing I've experienced since my freshman year of college. Any general cleaning/deodorizing hints?

got2av8:
:death2: My CHARMING nephew, in an effort to do something sweet for his uncle, decided that a picture would be a memorable gift. Our budding Picasso also decided that the perfect medium would be a Sharpie permanent marker and the yellow panels of a 5 mil IST wetsuit. I'm really not that fond of the suit, mostly BECAUSE of the garish yellow panels, but in the interest of not looking like a :klclown: in front of the fishies, is there anything I can do to get this out?

On a more personally responsible note, I also have a general cleaning question- After my last dive, I neglected to pull my booties (2 mil Mares) out of my gear box to dry, and they now smell like nothing I've experienced since my freshman year of college. Any general cleaning/deodorizing hints?

Common rubbing alchohol will work on some materials as will laquer thinner, I don't think you want the latter on the suit. If the ink has stained the art will probably remain. Remember blot, don't wipe.

spectrum:
Common rubbing alchohol will work on some materials as will laquer thinner

Mmmm... No, I don't think laquer thinner will be an option. :wink: But is alcohol really okay to use on neoprene? I'd really hate to wreck it before I even get a chance to really put it to use. It was only $150, but that's still $150 more than I want to spend again before the next dive.

DON'T USE THE ALCHOL ON YOUR SUIT!!!!! It will delaminate the nylon from the rubber, it doesn't look to nice when the two delaminate, but the suit will still work. We have in the past used sharpies to mark the sizes on our wet suits at the shop I work at. The ink has a way of wearing off the cover material on the neoprene after a while, so ever month or so we end up redoing the markings. It's amazing what salt water does.

I didn't think alcohol would be the best idea. I'm glad to know that they'll eventually fade, but I'm a little irked to know that I'm going to have to explain these goofy-looking drawings the next half-dozen times I go diving. Maybe I'll just give him a dollar to fill in the rest of the yellow. :D

Just do 60 or so dives. Very few permanent markers are permanent.

hardhat:
DON'T USE THE ALCHOL ON YOUR SUIT!!!!! It will delaminate the nylon from the rubber
I did not expect that, but I will remember it now.

How about taking a marker of the same color and coloring the whole panel?

Back
Top Bottom