Protecting electronic car keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

....I don't plan on buying a new suv anytime soon;...

You know I'm a new car dealer right?:wink:

More and more new models will come out with electronic entry keys. I just end up using one of those watertight cigarettes cases.

WTZKIC.JPG

buttons are rubber. rubber compresses at depth, even inside a drysuit.

That was the point of my question. I didn't keep the key in a hard container, so I was wondering whether the pressure at depth impacted the key itself and whether anyone else had such an experience.

Just a guess since I haven't seen any keys with buttons .........

Probably air that seeped past the buttons to pressurize/equalize a void on the inside of the key when at 115'. Then on ascent the lip of the buttons sealed the pressurized air inside until they popped out enough to let enough air out to equalize the air pressure in the internal void back close to surface pressure.

-----

I've seen that sort of unintentional one-way valve, but in reverse, on a camera housing. At altitude in a plane the air seeped out past the O-ring. Then it sealed airtight on descent and I had to work pretty hard to pry apart the case.

Thanks, I was kind of thinking the same thing in terms of what happened. The thing is that now my buttons are kind of permanently in this sligtly popped out position on my key. :rofl3:

Got a couple suggestions...

1.) Take a "spare" diving with you that's not electronic. The door doesn't use the electronics, the ignition does. So make a spare key ($1 to $2 bucks at most hardware stores) and take the spare diving with you to open the door. stash the regular keys in the trunk or hide in car. That way you don't get your expensive key wet or salty. (This won't work for you though with the "USB weird type key, but just wanted to add it as an option for any other real key).

2.) Add a lockbox. Cost $25 to $30 bucks. you can buy these at Home Depot or online

set combo, insert keys, lock to bumper/hitch, etc.

Amazon.com: Master Lock Select Access Key Storage Box with Set-Your-Own Combination Lock #5400D: Home Improvement
41VQXJW03XL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Yup, I have one of those, and use it regularly. Very handy.

One of these days I want to have a wet key made, since the chipped keys are (a) not waterproof, and (b) expensive. Just a dumb metal key that I can open the door with. Then I can leave the electronic key hidden safely in the car and just dive with the wet key on a necklace or clipped off in a pocket.

Might as well resurrect this thread...

As I predicted, I eventually ended up with a car with only an electronic key. There's another thread around here but here's my solution.

I had a metal key made, it will only open the doors. The electronic key is in a combo lockbox hidden in the car.

The metal key used to go in my BC zipper pocket (the Aeris Atmos has a zipper pocket on the cummerbund).

Since I just bought a new BC without such a pocket, the metal key can either go in my internal wet suit pocket, or a new solution...

I can put the key in one of the weight pouches, which is not something I've seen mentioned here before.

What is it with all the new cars not having "real" keys?

I bought a (used) Infiniti G35 2 months ago, and it has the IVIS electronic key. Yes, there's a little "mini" key inside, but...

And then, someone hit the Infiniti, and the body place gave me a new Chrysler 300 as a rental. This thing HAS NO KEY. I mean, it looks like a key, but it looks even more like a USB thumb drive. And there's no physical key for the doorlocks. If I went diving with my gear in this car, I'd pretty much have to take the remote/keythingie with me.

So far, my plan is to carpool with someone who has a "real car with a real by-Ghod key" and put my "key" inside their car :)

What kind of waterproof case has anyone actually used to protect these remote/keythingie things? Even the smallest Pelicans look too big, and I don't think I'd trust them at 90-100'.

i put mine in a waterproof case and clip it to the dive flag. hasn't failed me yet.

another thing you can do is buy a magnetic key holder and attach it underneath your car. its just a little box you can put your key in with a magnetic strip on the back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom