Protecting electronic car keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That might work anyway, you might want to check ... I'm thinking that most of the electronic keys wont work when inside a metal box ... I will check and see

Heh :)
OK, I checked and a Corvette will happily start with the fob inside a metal box (I'm thinking that holes/gaps around the hinges/edges allowed the transmitter signal to "leak" out) .. it does not prove that it would work from inside a trailer hitch box (

I kind of doubt he's got a trailer hitch on the G35...:D

2008 Infiniti G Sedan Exterior Photos - Infiniti USA

Yeah... I thought about that as I had the same problem when trying to use it with my Ferrari which doesn't have a trailer hitch either.... :rofl3: (Of course trying to get a set of LP95 Doubles in the Ferrari is a problem all of it's on...) :D

(was just posting that hitch lock as another "general option" for others.... )

Yeah... I thought about that as I had the same problem when trying to use it with my Ferrari which doesn't have a trailer hitch either.... :rofl3: (Of course trying to get a set of LP95 Doubles in the Ferrari is a problem all of it's on...) :D
Just use the Range Rover, the Bentley doesn't really have the trunkspace either. And you don't want to scuff the calfskin...

hijack over...

I always found locking the half doors on my Wrangler to be completely useless. Some how someone always figures out how to get in.

Not to hijack this thread, but I thought it might be a related question.

Has anyone ever had the buttons on their key become deformed from diving? I put my key with buttons into the pocket of my undergarments under my drysuit. I then did a dive to 115 ft. When I came out, my buttons were kind of popping out of the key. I don't know if the pressure at depth impacted the buttons on the key? Has anyone had a similar experience?

Just a guess since I haven't seen any keys with buttons .........

Probably air that seeped past the buttons to pressurize/equalize a void on the inside of the key when at 115'. Then on ascent the lip of the buttons sealed the pressurized air inside until they popped out enough to let enough air out to equalize the air pressure in the internal void back close to surface pressure.

-----

I've seen that sort of unintentional one-way valve, but in reverse, on a camera housing. At altitude in a plane the air seeped out past the O-ring. Then it sealed airtight on descent and I had to work pretty hard to pry apart the case.

Here's another method.... might not work with proximity keys, but good for other keys.

HitchSafe Trailer Receiver Safe

hitchsafe5.jpg
hitchsafe6.jpg

Oh man, I would so not trust that! People steal trailer hitch covers all the time! With that, you get a bonus reward!

Back
Top Bottom