Protecting electronic car keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Try a Witz case. LeisurePro sells them.

I've had the Keep-it-Safe for about 5 years now on about 90 dives and it's never leaked.

But I don't put expensive electronic keys in it, just cash/cards so you may want something a little more substantial.

Do you have Sport Chalet's in San Diego? I saw something very similar to the bigger clear Witz case there last week.

Got a couple suggestions...

1.) Take a "spare" diving with you that's not electronic. The door doesn't use the electronics, the ignition does. So make a spare key ($1 to $2 bucks at most hardware stores) and take the spare diving with you to open the door. stash the regular keys in the trunk or hide in car. That way you don't get your expensive key wet or salty. (This won't work for you though with the "USB weird type key, but just wanted to add it as an option for any other real key).

2.) Add a lockbox. Cost $25 to $30 bucks. you can buy these at Home Depot or online

set combo, insert keys, lock to bumper/hitch, etc.

Amazon.com: Master Lock Select Access Key Storage Box with Set-Your-Own Combination Lock #5400D: Home Improvement
41VQXJW03XL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

There is a new key out, the little thumb drive looking thing, that will not allow you to leave it in the trunk or a lock box on the vehilce. This is because the key is designed to make the vehicle unlockable as soon as it is within about 5 feet of the vehicle. Cool idea for soccor moms, but leaves your vehicle open if you want to go diving and not take it with you. The Toyotas come with these keys.

There is a new key out, the little thumb drive looking thing, that will not allow you to leave it in the trunk or a lock box on the vehilce. This is because the key is designed to make the vehicle unlockable as soon as it is within about 5 feet of the vehicle. Cool idea for soccor moms, but leaves your vehicle open if you want to go diving and not take it with you. The Toyotas come with these keys.

ahhh... this is like the "proximity keys" we use at work. You can set them so that as long as you are within X feet (or inches) of the reader it will unlock the door ahead of you.

(so that defeats the purpose of a close lockbox).

Doesn't the car come with a valet key of some sort? Or some sort of valet lock key that's not electronic?

Doesn't sound like these will be popular with beach goers, surfers or beach divers.

Boy do I feel blessed to have one of the keypads on my vehicle. My husband's car doesn't have that but it is too small for my gear, plus he'd never let me put anything wet or sandy in it :D.

I don't plan on buying a new suv anytime soon; but diver-friendly-entry will be on the make it or break it list. Well, that and cloth seats.

I just bought one of those Master Lock Key things, it looks great!

Back
Top Bottom