Protecting electronic car keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tep

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What is it with all the new cars not having "real" keys?

I bought a (used) Infiniti G35 2 months ago, and it has the IVIS electronic key. Yes, there's a little "mini" key inside, but...

And then, someone hit the Infiniti, and the body place gave me a new Chrysler 300 as a rental. This thing HAS NO KEY. I mean, it looks like a key, but it looks even more like a USB thumb drive. And there's no physical key for the doorlocks. If I went diving with my gear in this car, I'd pretty much have to take the remote/keythingie with me.

So far, my plan is to carpool with someone who has a "real car with a real by-Ghod key" and put my "key" inside their car :)

What kind of waterproof case has anyone actually used to protect these remote/keythingie things? Even the smallest Pelicans look too big, and I don't think I'd trust them at 90-100'.

What is it with all the new cars not having "real" keys?

I bought a (used) Infiniti G35 2 months ago, and it has the IVIS electronic key. Yes, there's a little "mini" key inside, but...

And then, someone hit the Infiniti, and the body place gave me a new Chrysler 300 as a rental. This thing HAS NO KEY. I mean, it looks like a key, but it looks even more like a USB thumb drive. And there's no physical key for the doorlocks. If I went diving with my gear in this car, I'd pretty much have to take the remote/keythingie with me.
I know exactly what you mean.

So far, my plan is to carpool with someone who has a "real car with a real by-Ghod key" and put my "key" inside their car :)
My buddies don't always have a waterproof key. :(

What kind of waterproof case has anyone actually used to protect these remote/keythingie things? Even the smallest Pelicans look too big, and I don't think I'd trust them at 90-100'.
I use this one on my BP/W.

Keys_Storage.jpg

Hmmm, looks like that's made by Mares, bu I can't find t on their web site(s). Got a product model number?

Some people use a small divelight. They're waterproof, and with the batts removed they make an excellent waterproof case for things like keys.

---
Ken

I've checked the box but I cannot find a number or model. I'll check with my LDS.

I use a small drybag that I keep inside my drysuit, it works well, but I haven't flooded my drysuit yet either.

Brendan

I'm not sure if it's a clip or a loop. The Ike page does not have a good picture. I found another here
IK3001.JPG

I remember seeing one at a local shop and thinking it looked solid, but I don't remember how it attached. I would probably toss it in a pocket instead.

The clip that runs down the side of the jar clips over 2 inch webbing. It is a reliable container.

Don't you wish you could just get a simple utilitarian vehicle, like a checker cab?

Who is telling these people we want all of this stuff.! It's nothing but expense, liability and failure points. If it were dive gear we'd refuse to use it. Thank you for your attention, rant over.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom