Protecting E/O connectors.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kr2y5

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anybody have ideas for how to keep E/O connectors secure (in case you drop the light), and prevent water from getting inside (to prolong their lifetime and reduce maintenance burden). I do not really plan on disconnecting mine in the water, except for emergency situations (where being able to break away would be desirable). I thought about sliding some sort of a thin, elastic rubber tube over the connection, not sure that will work. Have you solved this problem?

No, and if I had, I wouldn't have posted a thread on salvaging corroded ones!

I put dielectric grease on my e/o plugs. Not sure if it helps but I haven't had any problems but I rarely dive in salt water. You can buy it at any auto supply store. I would think that rinsing the salt off after diving would help also.

Does anybody have ideas for how to keep E/O connectors secure (in case you drop the light), and prevent water from getting inside (to prolong their lifetime and reduce maintenance burden). I do not really plan on disconnecting mine in the water, except for emergency situations (where being able to break away would be desirable). I thought about sliding some sort of a thin, elastic rubber tube over the connection, not sure that will work. Have you solved this problem?

Well you can put some silicone grease (acid -free ( i use that for auto breaks )) on rubber male pin and flat surface in front of connector , then put thicker heat shrink tube on one cable , connect both connectors together and then place that heatshrink tube over both together and heat it .

Heat shrink tube will hold both parts tohether strong and in case you like to separate them again , just gentle cut with scalpel or sharp knife on heatshrink tube surface and it is off - simple and effective.

Don't use waterproof heatshrink tube with glue inside !

Back
Top Bottom