Pros & Cons of Using a Full Face Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know what you mean. I have more trouble in the beginning of the dive after a few minutes in the water my face gets used to it and all is well. At times my lips have been so numb that I almost have to hold the reg in.
I find when getting directly in water below about 35-37 degrees that my exposed face and lips have a sharp burning feeling for a couple minutes until it all goes numb and then I usually notice some minor post dive swelling for an hour or two.

I do not have the same symptoms in situations with thermoclines where the bottom temps may be in the same 35-37 degree range but where you get to and leave those temps progressively.

So on a true ice dive, I'll often use an FFM, otherwise there is just not enough benefit to offset the compromises unless coms are needed.

With a standard regulator in very cold water, an Aqualung comfobite mouthpiece works well as much of the work in keeping the second stage in place is done by the mouthpiece resting against the roof of your mouth rather than by jaw pressure. Also, it is critical that the hose lenght be correct as a too short or too long LP hose wiill pull or push the second stage and require much more jaw pressure. Hose lenght is a much bigger factor in jaw fatigue than the weight of the second stage.

So on a true ice dive, I'll often use an FFM, otherwise there is just not enough benefit to offset the compromises unless coms are needed.

LOL, I haven't done many ice dives since I quit teaching.

Hey Guys I have a Question I Currently Dive With A long hose an my octo bungeed around my neck how would i Incorporate this setup With an AGA ffm while keeping these Safety Characteristics intact this would be for Rec diving i still only trust the traditional setup for harder dives weird question I know

Hey Guys I have a Question I Currently Dive With A long hose an my octo bungeed around my neck how would i Incorporate this setup With an AGA ffm while keeping these Safety Characteristics intact this would be for Rec diving i still only trust the traditional setup for harder dives weird question I know

First off, the premise of donating a known working 2nd stage goes out the window because you aren't going to donate your AGA.

Saying that, I have seen two approaches.

1) replace long hose with AGA...works well if YOU need to bailout, but buddy get the shorter hose (from necklace). In this case, the necklace is a Manta Necklace so the 2nd stage is easily removed from the necklace

2) replace necklace with the AGA and clip off the long hose to right shoulder d-ring. In this case, the d-ring is attached to the reg via o-ring vs. cave line so that if it takes too long to unclip, the reg can be pulled from the shoulder (breaking the o-ring).

I personally use #1 whereas my buddy uses #2...In most cases, FFM users have gone back to a traditional OCTO setup with a longer hose routed under their arm for donation.

If you aren't donating the AGA I don't see any good reason to have it on a long hose anyway.

Personally I'd put the AGA on the short hose and clip the long hose off to the right D-ring. You or you buddy can switch to that reg if need be. If you're not all that comfortable/savy with the clips go for the breakaway o-ring connection.

Here at our aquarium they put the AGA on the main single tank using a ~40" hose + swivel. They use a necklaced backup off a tank mounted pony bottle, and also have an Air2 type inflator/octo. I don't dive in OW with them (just in the tank on surface supply) so can't comment much on this setup.

Here at our aquarium they put the AGA on the main single tank using a ~40" hose + swivel. They use a necklaced backup off a tank mounted pony bottle, and also have an Air2 type inflator/octo.
So that's why I haven't seen you round the DIR forums lately. :D

I was never considering putting the AGA on a long hose but i like the idea of having a necklaced backup off my pony with the 7foot being clipped to my right shoulder thanks Guys you saved me a lot of thinking lol

So that's why I haven't seen you round the DIR forums lately. :D

Haha right. I do dive an AGA when volunteering at the local aquarium. The tank is 18ft deep. I have to wear 39lbs of lead to keep down the AGA mask (bouyant!), the surface supply hose (with comm wire), and an AL63 which is supposed to be "backup" gas. I wear 28lbs diving my ordinary single steel tanks in the same drysuit. The reg attached to the AL63 has the IP set at 130 whereas the surface supply line is set at 150psi. So the surface supply flows in the LP side while the AL63 sits there until the surface banks run out or someone turns them off. Kinda weird. They used to not bother with tanks and just use the hooka lines, but I gues some dingdong had to do a CESA a couple times and they decided we needed redundancy.

My main duties are to remove spawning salmon (with a pole spear :d), vacuum fish poop, and wash the windows. Spearing speedy salmon has done wonders for my shallow stop comfort level, so beleive it or not the dives have personal value too!

Their OW setup is, ummm, interesting. But like I said I have never dove for them outside the tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom