Pros & Cons of Using a Full Face Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k-valve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Other than the fact that you can use voice communication gear with a full face mask what are the other advantages? ...and disadvantages.

One disadvantage is that it makes gas sharing a lot more difficult.

How is that? One would still have an octopus to share with his/her buddy. For the FFM diver s/he can carry a spare mask if they need to use their octo or their buddy's.

Other than the fact that you can use voice communication gear with a full face mask what are the other advantages? ...and disadvantages. Gas consumption? Breatheability? Depth restrictions? Anything you can think of... Thanks!

A full mask protects your whole face, which in very cold water or contaminated water is an advantage.

WIth the new oceanreef you can use a cellphone underwater :D

NOt something I would want, but maybe.....

Alot of Public Safety dept. use them with the comms. I have sold a few to people with Cleff Pallats(spelling) due to alot of leaking with a traditional mask& reg......Depending on which one you get, it might take some tiem to figure out clearing it...some are just like a mask. They are great for Ice DIving too :D

I had one tech Instructor that wanted to use it communicate with the other students, they would just wear an ear transmitter to hear....

You listed some of the pros and cons yourself, depending on the diving your doing there could be more

WIth the new oceanreef you can use a cellphone underwater :D

NOt something I would want, but maybe.....

Alot of Public Safety dept. use them with the comms. I have sold a few to people with Cleff Pallats(spelling) due to alot of leaking with a traditional mask& reg......Depending on which one you get, it might take some tiem to figure out clearing it...some are just like a mask. They are great for Ice DIving too :D

I had one tech Instructor that wanted to use it communicate with the other students, they would just wear an ear transmitter to hear....

You listed some of the pros and cons yourself, depending on the diving your doing there could be more

I had also seen divers with false teeth dive with ffm also. They said that had a hard time holding in reg.

Just from curiousity, how does the cell phone work. If it plugs into the comm system, where does the cell phone goes onto the diver?........

The cell phone is on the surface in a box(lack of the proper terminology :wink: ) The phone has to have Bluetooth, the bluetooth then(I belive) is transmitted into the box, the box then transmits to the FFM and to you.....Has potential for lost divers in the future I guess.....Or deco stops, or problems underwater....or calling Mom on her birthday :D

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom