Proper way to wear a hood and warmer options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jhawke

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
For cold waters I wear a 6mm full hood. I was diving dry last week in 54F waters.

On the first dive my hood was fine and I didn't have any water flow. On my second dive I had water flow around my ears when ever I turned my head.

My question is, what was I doing wrong? The dive master kept trying to get me to adjust my mask and my hood but I didn't quite understand what he meant.

My other question is - what is a warmer alternative to my 6mm hood? I would like to try ice diving but I don't think this hood will cut it for me - are there better options?

For the record I use an Andy's dry suit.

Thanks in advance.

I am very happy with my new hood and was plenty warm. It is a 12 mm made for me by http://otterbaysuits.com/ She (Cricket) is well known out here in CA where temps go into the high 40's. Well worth the $75.00 she charges.

For your current hood, put it on at home with your reg and mask, and see if you can make it fit a certain way that leaves as little skin exposed as possible. Really sounds like it is too loose and letting cold water in right? If it was just water from around your body it would be warm.

jhawke:
On the first dive my hood was fine and I didn't have any water flow. On my second dive I had water flow around my ears when ever I turned my head.

It sounds like you may have a loose fit. Did your hood include a skin-bn face seal? Usually this makes the opening so small that you need to trim the face seal for a slight overlap over you mask skirt. With that you have fill top of the head coverage.
http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=1089266&postcount=6

Like any wet gear there will be water infiltration and the first shots of that on your noggin are an eye opener. I don't want to discourage you but at 54F you don't really know what cold water is yet. :D

If you had your mask strap under the hood you will promote water flow to the ears.

Most hoods will end up catching some air along the way. A few vent holes can keep that from being a problem. Having a l;ittle air in the hood can make it cozy, especially below 40F.

In the coldest water I wear a 2mm beanie under my 7mm drysuit hood. The beanie justs adds one more slight barrier to my scalp and it helps a lot.

Pete

Anybody ever exhale through their mask and have the warm air get inside the hood? Works for me from time to time.

the only bad thing abouout exhaling through you mask to get warm air trap in the hood i knoe alot of diver that cut small holes int the top of the hood to prevent air from getting trapped though

Funny, you make it sound like a good trick to get air stuck in your hood. I have a Henderson Hypstrech (that I love to death) that tends to end up full of air. It really annoys me because I can never seem to get it all out without running my hand through the seam and letting it out, thus giving me a rush of cool water. Ive tried everythign with the vent on the top, but still cant seem to get the air out fast enough. Hopefully when I get a new mask soon I will get rid of this problem.

Ed L.:
Anybody ever exhale through their mask and have the warm air get inside the hood? Works for me from time to time.

A little bit does work very well. I try not to put any there but when it happens it does help.

utdivermatt:
Funny, you make it sound like a good trick to get air stuck in your hood. I have a Henderson Hypstrech (that I love to death) that tends to end up full of air. It really annoys me because I can never seem to get it all out without running my hand through the seam and letting it out, thus giving me a rush of cool water. Ive tried everythign with the vent on the top, but still cant seem to get the air out fast enough. Hopefully when I get a new mask soon I will get rid of this problem.

The holes must not be at YOURr highpoint as YOU swim.

1. Add another hole or 2 by burning with a hot nail. Make them an inch or 2 further fore/aft.

2. When you need to dump air from your hood turn your head down, the air will exit via your neckline. It feels neat too. :)

Pete

I just tip my head down and the air escapes through the neck. No cold water rush either.

Back
Top Bottom