Proper reflector distress signalling ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

richerso

Contributor
Reaction score
I have taken several blue water trips in my short dive tenure and I have always had fun

I have always tried to remember to carry a whistle, a SMB, and sun reflector signalling device. I will admit I haven't always done so. Anywho, I just purchased a small backpacking mirror from the local outdoors store. I just stuffed in a BCD pocket for that next blue water trek. I also carry an old discarded CD for the same purpose.

Now it occurs to me, serious question here, exactly what is the proper protocol for using a signalling device like a mirror?

xx
x x
x x
x x
xx
/
/
/
/
/
/ |\
/ |__\
/ ___|___
O-------------------\______/

Point to mirror toward the sun and angle up or down to the plane or boat your trying to signal. When your lost at sea there is no protocol.

my drawing didn't transfer so well sorry

I guess I was wondering . . . . is there a protocol for like "waggle the mirror for three seconds and then pause for two seconds" - or anything similar? Otherwise, how could you guarantee that your signalling glints don't simply appear as random wave action glint? How do you stand out? Am I being too finicky about this?

How do you know when you've been seen? And is it then necessary to continue blinding the person trying to rescue you?

mrfixitchapman! Thank you! That is the answer I needed. Now I know. Thank you.

btw, love the tagline about salt water / repeat often.
Iowa, huh? Equally inconvenient to both coasts? Ha!
Do you do any ice diving? I some times make it up to Lake Okoboji, IA for ice diving in February.

mrfixitchapman! Thank you! That is the answer I needed. Now I know. Thank you.

btw, love the tagline about salt water / repeat often.
Iowa, huh? Equally inconvenient to both coasts? Ha!
Do you do any ice diving? I some times make it up to Lake Okoboji, IA for ice diving in February.

I never have dived Okoboji. Might be up for it. We generally make one Christmas break trip to a warm saltwater location. Sometimes Florida, Bahamas, USVI, CZM, like that. Sometimes I get a saltwater dive in the summertime, I loved Monterey Bay. Kelp forest, strawberry anemones, seals, good stuff. Usually I get a few summer dives in Lake Superior or Lake Wazee. Thinking about Bonne Terre in the near future.

DC

Here is a great post from DB in another thread. The CD disk does not reflect well and cannot been seen at distance.

Thanks for your thoughts and your perspective .. especially the "let them know what you have" part

Welcome to ScubaBoard, Navy :D

one thing I would add is that your mirror be a signaling mirror , the kind with an aiming hole/sight .. makes it much easier to aim

I carry always ... signal mirror, whistle, light, SMB, spool, knife, and I will be getting a strobe to put in my unused trim pocket (lol, rocket launcher :) )

This question comes up often and I've saved what I think are best/most often referenced sites ...

A very good, if long, read on rescue trials conducted in real world conditions in the Scapa Flow ... probably my favorite
... How far can you see me? ... Diver location trials: Introduction

.. Surface Survival Primer ... Surface Survival Primer

.. Equipped to Survive ... EQUIPPED TO SURVIVE (tm) - SIGNALING GROUP and the rest of the website is a treasure trove of info ... Survival Gear and Equipment Evaluations - EQUIPPED TO SURVIVE (tm)

One thing I've learned is that it does not have to be a mirror with a sight hole, you just put the object that your aiming at between two fingers held in a V and wiggle sun reflection back and forth between them (thanks Walter :) )

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom