Proper postioning of first stage on tank and BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CDN ff:
Okay, guys, you have to help settle a five year long discussion amongst dive freinds. What is the proper position for the tank valve, first stage etc.... I will withhold our own two different opinions so as to not influence.. Have at it!!
LOL feel free to post pics to back your position!

(It's amazing how many minute differences that people SWEAR by exist out there!!!)

CHEERS!

Just what is your question? Tank valve and first stage can only go one way in SCUBA and using a yoke. Second stages leave the first stage on the diver's right unless integrated into the inflator hose. After that where they go and hose length is up to whatever the diver wants to do.

The equipment dictates all this. So, what is your question?

CAPT HOOK:
Strange wording - anyway Tank valve UP not down like firemen, 1st stage would depend on the brand. Some only work one way while others , like some Tusa's, can be mounted so that the top of the 1st stage can be up or down which can help stop head banging.

I would be very afraid of any first stage that dousn't work in any orientation!

YIKES!

H2Andy:
no, my back-up second stage (i.e. the "octopus") [is on a bungee]. my primary second stage is on a 7-foot hose and it routes along the right side of my body, up across my chest, behind my neck, and forward on my mouth.
I assume that's DIR. I am wearing my primary over my right shoulder and my octopus under my right arm and clipped to D ring on front of BC. I was thinking about using this bungee neck strap method on my primary since it's not lashed in any other way. Does anybody have any experience or comments?

As always, interesting replies. What I was actually talking about is the orientation (or, if you will, the preferred ports) for hose connections onto the first stage. We have an ongoing debate about such things. I have my LP hose to my BC running off what is the top port when the valve is connected. Others use the bottom port. The reasoning for either is minor, (as is this entire trivial question!!!!! LOL). I prefer the LP coming out of the top port because then the line runs cleanly over the shoulder and into position. I think using the bottom port leaves a line loop that sticks out to the side and could provide an entanglement hazard. Others in our group argue that the having the LP line coming out of the top port leaves potential for the connection to be knocked off in a collision.
It is THESE types of discussions that we pass our time with!! We have debated various hose positions for hours (yeah, we get bored easily!!), and everyone has slightly different ideas for valid reasons. Just checking with other parts of the world to see if anyone else has their own reasoning....
Cheers!!!!

bnaudie:
I assume that's DIR.

that's how DIR does it too, but i got this configuration
during my cavern/intro to cave classes.

bnaudie:
I was thinking about using this bungee neck strap method on my primary since it's not lashed in any other way. Does anybody have any experience or comments?

major problem with this: a paniced diver is going to grab the reg in your mouth. if it's bungeed around your neck, trouble will ensue.

the reason behind the secondary being bungeed to the neck is that you always know where it is and can find it
with a minimum of effort, since it becomes your "primary" once your pass your primary to an out of air diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom