Proper fin fit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lorenzoid

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
What is the proper fit for fins? I am mainly concerned with fins worn with wetsuit booties, not drysuit boots, if that matters. Should the foot pocket be snug enough at both the toe and heel to prevent any side-to-side play? I bought some Hollis F2 fins that I suspect are just too large. My toes seem held securely, but toward the heel end there is a gap between my foot and the sides of the foot pocket, such that if I wave my foot from side to side, the fin will rotate a bit on my foot. I plan to master the frog kick and other more precision kicks in these, so I want the fit to be just right. The fins I have been using for years have a more rounded foot pocket made of softer rubber and seem to conform to my foot, but the foot pocket on the Hollis is rectangular and stiff. I suspect a rectangular rigid foot pocket works fine with big drysuit boots, but that's not what I use.

Have you had them in the water yet? Once wetted and used for a few kicks some of those fins settle onto your feet unlike in a dry test.

Pete

What is the proper fit for fins? I am mainly concerned with fins worn with wetsuit booties, not drysuit boots, if that matters. Should the foot pocket be snug enough at both the toe and heel to prevent any side-to-side play? I bought some Hollis F2 fins that I suspect are just too large. My toes seem held securely, but toward the heel end there is a gap between my foot and the sides of the foot pocket, such that if I wave my foot from side to side, the fin will rotate a bit on my foot. I plan to master the frog kick and other more precision kicks in these, so I want the fit to be just right. The fins I have been using for years have a more rounded foot pocket made of softer rubber and seem to conform to my foot, but the foot pocket on the Hollis is rectangular and stiff. I suspect a rectangular rigid foot pocket works fine with big drysuit boots, but that's not what I use.

I have the same issue with my Hollis F2s the foot pocket is huge, designed more for drysuit boot than wetsuit. Whilst diving the lateral movement is all but unnoticeable. I did swap to a tighter/smaller spring which helped. As spectrum advised get them wet and see how you go.

I have not had them in the water, because as I said on the other thread about the fit of Hollis F2s I am considering sending them back to the store to exchange for size Small. I guess I will try diving with them and see what happens. Part of my excessive concern is that I want to take GUE Fundies in these, and I understand learning the frog kick and other kicks is part of the course, so that last thing I want is poorly fitting fins.

I have not had them in the water, because as I said on the other thread about the fit of Hollis F2s I am considering sending them back to the store to exchange for size Small. I guess I will try diving with them and see what happens. Part of my excessive concern is that I want to take GUE Fundies in these, and I understand learning the frog kick and other kicks is part of the course, so that last thing I want is poorly fitting fins.

Im a size 24.5 and at a size 9 you're a 27.5 Japan sizing. I swapped out the original Hollis 29cm spring (tightest setting), to a 24cm spring. using the 24" spring adjusted one setting looser this gave a length of 26.5cm spring compared to the original 29cm spring so difference is 2.5cm. They are still a little loose. All that being the case small might be ok as it looks like you are 3cm larger than me. I wear 5mm aqualung boots. Hope this is of some help. Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom