Proper Breathing: an important scuba skill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anytime someone tells you you're "doing it wrong" or "my way is the right way" you should run away as fast as you can.

Last edited:
Sorry if the title offended anyone. A moderator, John, is going to change it. I have well over 300 dives on my current PADI certification. I did some diving back in early 80's in Okinawa probably less than 50 dives.

Most of my time I spend spear fishing with a group of very experienced technical divers who all use little or no lead. From time to time I go on a charter boat that has a lot of tourists and fairly new divers. The new divers tend to use a lot of lead and blow through a lot of air. After I convince them to exhale and try breathing normally there is an immediate and dramatic improvement.

My point is to breathe normally just like you were told in class. The problem is most people have never thought about exactly how they breathe normally so they can force themselves to do it while under water.

Sorry again for making people angry which just defeats my purpose.

Barry

Thanks for the advice Barry, I will practice it and see how it works.
But it brings me to another seemingly problem that may not be off topic with this thread.
My SB profile says I have 0-25 dives, I've just completed my 25th dive and it may be months before I can get down again. Should I change my profile to 25-49 now or wait till ive completed my 26th dive,and if I wait will my posting still be taken seriously until the time I change it.
Qwick replies would be appreciated for this is now causing me great anxiety.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

The title of this thread was changed at the request of the OP in response to suggestions made within the thread.

Sorry if the title offended anyone. A moderator, John, is going to change it. I have well over 300 dives on my current PADI certification. I did some diving back in early 80's in Okinawa probably less than 50 dives.

Sorry again for making people angry which just defeats my purpose.

Barry

Might I humbly suggest updating your profile?

And thanks for the post.

Should I change my profile to 25-49 now or wait till ive completed my 26th dive,and if I wait will my posting still be taken seriously until the time I change it.
Qwick replies would be appreciated for this is now causing me great anxiety.

I can't tell if you are being serious or sarcastic. Of course I don't just ignore everything a diver says becaue he's 0-25 or conversely believe everything said just because they are 500 - 1000. The bigger picture was that the subject matter and the way it was presented was far out there for someone with a profile indicating that they are new to diving. It raised some eye brows to say the least.

I personally just say "I don't log dives" because well, I don't and I really don't care if people know how many dives I have. If someone is interested, it's probably somewhere around 300. I won't be able to "prove it" but if you see me in the water, it'l be obvious I've dove more then a few times.

---------- Post Merged at 11:11 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:05 AM ----------

You guys really shouldn't go by what the bar on the left says about someones dive history or experience. Mine said 0-24 when I was over 200.

Why not? If you want to go around announcing that you aren't certified then you shouldn't be suprised when I treat you as such. "I don't log dives" is there for a reason and if you'd just bother to select it I'd understand where you are coming from.

chrpai, I wasn't so much trying to be sarcastic as I was trying to be humorous about the way some have jumped on the OP about his Thread title. As one can't see from my reply it's not always easy to convey exactly what you mean or how you mean it,be it humor,sarcasm,ect. Personaly,I read all post and don't pay so much attention to the way the title is worded but focus on the content of the post as I did the OP and found it to be informative, I didn't even notice how many dives he holds until it was pointed out by others.
So,getting back to my attempt at humor , after thinking about some of the replies maybe I should change my profile ASAP.:D. The yellow grinning face means I'm joking. Peace to you , I love SB.

ianr33, I have updated my profile. Could not figure out the picture part. Just think of an old fat guy holding a fat black grouper.

What triggered this post was the same thing that trigger the last one. Going on a tourist type dive charter and watching people struggle with breathing. I helped two divers back to the boat on first drop a couple of weeks back. One had a free flowing air 2 which drained too much air to continue before it was stopped, iced the first stage. The second diver was puffed up, breathing shallow and near panic mode. I helped them while the dive master continued on with the main group, then I caught up.

After the dive I talked to the shallow breather about breathing normally and he was able to do the second dive. In fact he had more air left with an 80 than some divers with 100's. He remember being told to breathe normally in class but did not know exactly what that meant. You can tell someone to just relax but they can't until they fix their breathing. If you tell them exhale and not puff up then they can relax.

Normal breathing is the PADI way. There seems to be a logic backing it that the human body tends to conserve energy. You normally just breathe what you need and nothing more. You expend extra energy when you fully inflate your lungs so you don't do it unless needed. In short, your naturally lazy and it is a good thing.

I just assumed that since my PADI course teaches breathing normally that all agencies did the same. Obviously I was wrong and people should breathe like they were taught in class by certified instructors. I am always open to new ways to improve my diving and would love to learn about other breathing methods.

Barry

Back
Top Bottom