Proper Breathing: an important scuba skill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FWIW - just because "Person A" was taught "Skill 1" in their PADI class, do not assume that "Person 2" was taught that same skill, the same way. As much as some folks compare PADI to McDonalds, the idea that the quality control will produce "identical" results in 2 different establishments is just not true. Big Macs are a lot more consistent from place to place than instruction quality. This is pretty much true of all the major recreational scuba agencies and is in no way a poor reflection on PADI.

Don't understand the "I can't listen to you if you don't have some qualification". All this time I've just been thinking that posts on the forum (in fact, every input I get from people anywhere for any reason) are just people's opinions or thier beliefs of what the facts are, and taking them that way. I then use my own experience and what I determine is common sense to decide if the information I'm getting seems factual and correct. If I don't think so, then I just don't believe it. If this is meant to be a "there's only facts and specific ways of doing things" area, then we should not allow general posting and vet comments for review before posting.

I also don't put any faith into someone's profile because people....lie, or just don't care to keep it up.

You can suffocate as happy as a clam in a pure helium atmosphere.

This made me laugh actually, and I found it very interesting to say the least.

And sad to say it has happened.

jb accident

There was another one more recently ( I can't find the thread) where someone didn't analyze their backgas after a fill. He took a few breaths of his gas right before he was going to jump off the boat, I assume doing an equipment check, and almost fainted. It was 100% He. Lucky for him that it happened before he was in the water.

Not analyzing your tanks seems to on the top of the list of the stupidest ways to die.

Hm I wonder if I can drop the 14 pounds of my AL80 doubles by just using the technique :)

Elan,

Most people I know ended up dropping 8-10 lbs of lead. You would think at first that it would only be 4 lbs from 2 quarts of water displaced. I think the difference is that you have to average the amount of air in your lungs over time. Everyone will be different but if you inhale with only stomach and relax/exhale in 3 seconds and then pause 3 seconds between breaths your average amount of air will be much lower than your 2 quart peak. If your are now breathing in the full gallon every breath and holding for a couple of seconds then exhaling and inhaling back in quickly there will be a big difference in your average and lead and air consumption.

You may have 6 quarts of lung capacity or just 3 quarts. I can see Lance Armstrong having to clip an anchor on his belt to go down. A small frame 12 year old may just lose 2 lb of lead.

I dropped all my lead but carry 4 lb when waves are over 2 foot so I can make my large SMB stand up at the safety stop. Give the boats a better target.

Barry

Elan,

Most people I know ended up dropping 8-10 lbs of lead. You would think at first that it would only be 4 lbs from 2 quarts of water displaced. I think the difference is that you have to average the amount of air in your lungs over time. Everyone will be different but if you inhale with only stomach and relax/exhale in 3 seconds and then pause 3 seconds between breaths your average amount of air will be much lower than your 2 quart peak. If your are now breathing in the full gallon every breath and holding for a couple of seconds then exhaling and inhaling back in quickly there will be a big difference in your average and lead and air consumption.

You may have 6 quarts of lung capacity or just 3 quarts. I can see Lance Armstrong having to clip an anchor on his belt to go down. A small frame 12 year old may just lose 2 lb of lead.

I dropped all my lead but carry 4 lb when waves are over 2 foot so I can make my large SMB stand up at the safety stop. Give the boats a better target.

Barry

That was more of a rhetorical question :)

14lb would be about 6+ liters of water. I think my lungs the last time I was measuring were just under 5l total, 10 lbs would be about 4.5 liters so you cannot drop that amount of weight by adjusting your breathing only.

I know I can drop at least 4lbs but it will make me uncomfortable and cold at the end of the dive....

I had an instabuddy yesterday that breathed his air down faster than I have ever witnessed. His sac rate I measured as over 40l per min. Sorry I don't know how to convert that to imperial, but my sac is 13 and the best instructor here I measured as 6. This guy drained his 15l (110?) cylinder in 40min on a dive at 8m (25 ft). First dive I have ever come back to the boat with near on 120 bar (1800 psi) left in my al80.
You could hear him breath from 30feet away.

The dm tried to coach him on slow relaxed breathing. But now he was concentrating, and was even worse on the second dive. Nice guy, but whoever certified him needs to be shot. He also liked swimming vertically, and kicking every piece of coral he could find. I literally ended up swimming below him at times lifting his legs up which did result in a few kicks to my head - of which he had no idea. Reminded me of that video someone posted recently called "terrible" or similar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back
Top Bottom