Proper 40" Primary Hose Routing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

medic13:
Have you thought about a 60 inch hose

I have not, the reason for the interest in the 40 incher is that I noticed in another thread that Uncle Pug had used one with a single while on vacation. The doubles hose kit I have ordered comes with a 40 for the stage bottle primary.

ProMed:
To keep this thread on topic I am simply looking for routing suggestions of the 40" hose. Stephen Ash- I didn't notice an elbow on the second stage in the WKPP image that was linked. Have you tried the 40" without the elbow?

Yah... without the elbow the hose routed under the arm puts a lot of torque on the second stage and is very uncomfortable. With the elbow the reg sits in the mouth much better. I could only guess why George's rig doesn't have an elbow...and that may have to do with adding failure points or maybe he would say that you just don't need the darn thing. OTOH, he might think that it is a non-issue altogether. Either way, I bet a lot of DIR divers use it set up just like this.

But in all honesty I don't claim to be a DIR expert. I just know that the 40 inch used to be perfectly acceptable for open water use and fits well into DIR thinking...unless that has recently changed.

Stephen Ash:
Yah... without the elbow the hose routed under the arm puts a lot of torque on the second stage and is very uncomfortable. With the elbow the reg sits in the mouth much better. I could only guess why George's rig doesn't have an elbow...and that may have to do with adding failure points or maybe he would say that you just don't need the darn thing. OTOH, he might think that it is a non-issue altogether.

Maybe he mounts his mouthpeice on an angle? :D

ProMed:
I have not, the reason for the interest in the 40 incher is that I noticed in another thread that Uncle Pug had used one with a single while on vacation. The doubles hose kit I have ordered comes with a 40 for the stage bottle primary.

I would think that just because a kit you ordered happened to come with a certain lenght might not be the best reason to use it.

Apparently, from this thread, a 40" hose is a DIR solution - I would just make sure you can easily share gas with it before you even worry about the routing.

MASS-Diver:
I would think that just because a kit you ordered happened to come with a certain lenght might not be the best reason to use it.

Apparently, from this thread, a 40" hose is a DIR solution - I would just make sure you can easily share gas with it before you even worry about the routing.

As stated in my reply Uncle Pug is the reason I was interested in trying the 40" hose for shallow open water singles. After realizing that the kit I just ordered was already coming with the 40" it was icing on the cake. Hopefully Uncle Pug or some others that have used this setup can comment on their experience with any sharing issues to look out for.

ProMed:
As stated in my reply Uncle Pug is the reason I was interested in trying the 40" hose for shallow open water singles. After realizing that the kit I just ordered was already coming with the 40" it was icing on the cake. Hopefully Uncle Pug or some others that have used this setup can comment on their experience with any sharing issues to look out for.

PM him and maybe he'll chime in. I thought he was using a 40"er because that was all that was avialable on that trip.

I guess if you have the 40" hose coming anyways, give it a shot and post up as to how you like it.

ok for the purpose of DIR the 60 inch hose ie a five foot hose is set up for singles and the 7 ft hose is set up for doubles . this is the standard norm for DIR but I use a 7 foot all the time, as you move into more advance and cave diving ect you will learn to like the 7 ft hose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom