Propeller Incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We even get boats inside our roped off dive park here on Catalina Island. I've often wondered just what these idiots thought when they went across the boundary lines. I've had several zoom past just 10 feet above my head.

They Shelly Beach where this accident happened is about a hours NORTH of Sydney, near Gosford/Centra Coast.

note the Shelly Beach at Manly which is crawling with divers on the weekend.

even if the boatie noticed a dive flag i question if he would be educated enough to know what it meant.

hope the guy is going to be back in the water soon

almitywife:
even if the boatie noticed a dive flag i question if he would be educated enough to know what it meant.

hope the guy is going to be back in the water soon

When there are poorly trained "captains" and poorly trained divers accidents are bound to happen. There used to be data on how many people got 'propped'. There are quite a few that occur worldwide. I have seen too many in my time and results are often quite tragic. The last one involved a helicopter evacuation.

I wish speedy recovery to the injured diver .

X

They should make it a legal mandatory for dive boats, at least the small fast ones , like RIBS, to have a propeller guard to minimize and/or avoid these kind of incidents.

Carrying a SMB if possible while diving would be a plus.

That way a boat having to move fast will know where buddy divers and groups are.

But then, judging by the massive number of divers you may have in your areas, the boat may not be able to move at all for SMBs

Tonio Anastasi:
They should make it a legal mandatory for dive boats, at least the small fast ones , like RIBS, to have a propeller guard to minimize and/or avoid these kind of incidents.

Interesting that you should say that. The last incident I witnessed and help evacuate involved an out-of-control RIB. Guards would be a step in the right direction. Banning liquor would be another.

X

an update from my local forum aboot this

http://www.diveoz.com.au/discussion_forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14356
"Hi, The person hit by a prop was a spearfisherman competing in the Canada Cup comp at Terrigal on Sunday. The boat involved was also involved in the Spearfishing comp. The spearo involved is, I understand in North Shore Hospital. We can only hope he has a speedy and successful recovery. Les Graham Terrigal Dive

Les Graham"

Mr.X:
Interesting that you should say that. The last incident I witnessed and help evacuate involved an out-of-control RIB. Guards would be a step in the right direction. Banning liquor would be another.

X

Why did it go out of control?
Didn't the driver have the dead man switch attached to himself?
Pulling on that would have stopped it dead.

When I'm on expedition with Lindblad, our Zodiac drivers all have a dead man switch. It's required.

The fact that we allow people to operate boats with no real training and way too much alcohol is absolutely ridiculous. I see it all the time out here in Catalina waters, especially during the summer when the "weekend warriors" head out here. They have no clue what a dive flag means. After a few beers, they have no idea where they are!

almitywife:

Nice to see boaters are universally uneduated all around the world!

well i was talking to someone last night. i hear the boat driver and the injured spearo where best mates (refer post # 16) so i suspect along with feeling really bad, the driver owes his mate a hell of alot of beer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom