http://www.diveheart.org/

Lusitania dive accident - insufficient insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But the other 14 was pure hospital BS. I had to explain to multiple people what was going on and why I needed hyperbaric treatment. I even had to coordinate my own chamber treatment because the hospital didn't know where to send me.

For info in the UK the numbers to call are:

Royal Navy Duty Diving Doctor - +447831151523

In England, Wales, and Northern Ireland call:

DDRC - +441752209999

In Scotland call:

Aberdeen Royal Infirmary - +448454086008

For info in the UK the numbers to call are:

Royal Navy Duty Diving Doctor - +447831151523

In England, Wales, and Northern Ireland call:

DDRC - +441752209999

In Scotland call:

Aberdeen Royal Infirmary - +448454086008

Unfortunately, this happened in the US. Specifically, the gulf area. Hyperbaric units are rare as hen's teeth down here. There's essentially nothing between Tampa and Mobile unless you're military and can get treated at Pensacola. The best thing you can do is know where your nearest hyperbaric unit is or call DAN and put them in contact with the hospital staff.

A small portion of our taxes go to healthcare so while it obviously isn't completely free, it is definitely worth it.
I'll never see anyone in my family get smacked back to the stone age financially because of a health issue, but you keep laughing over there.
I'm willing to bet whatever that what we pay for healthcare in taxes here in Sweden is still way less than what you pay for your insurance in the US.
And also, I am willing to bet that your insurance doesn't cover 100% of your medical costs no matter what.

Yeah, I agree. DAN is a member owned & driven organization, even tho some directors have made fortunes on their involvements at times, and insurance products supplied are furnished by outside companies that bid for the business. Their dive insurance is the only one I like, but I consider it essential for US & Canadian residents.

I presume he had top tier DAN accident insurance for this trip. The top plan in Canada has limits tho, and he may well exceed all of them! He's had two brain surgeries, etc.
See DAN | insurance: dive

I think UK's medical insurance is for UK citizens. I would not expect anything free if I was there.
You turn up in a hospital in UK - you get treated. Full stop.

Afterwards you may get asked to pay. Depending on yr circumstances. K

( obvs if you drive over someone then run off back to the US and claim Diplomatic Immunity... Thats another matter entirely )

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom