Proof that there needs to be a men's forum!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grouchyturtle

Contributor
Reaction score
Let me start by saying to the mods please don't edit this post. This really is a legitimate question. I know I'm an idiot, but, I just can't think of any other way to word this so here goes.

Just got a p-valve for my drysuit.

1- Do you replace the catheter after every dive, or do you use it until it starts to get kind of funky?
2-Do you keep it attached to the valve, or do you put it on then attach the hose (seems like it would be a pain to attach the hose before every dive) I'd think option one would be easier.
3-Lastly, as we all know, when wearing uh...the other kind of condom, you leave that little bit of slack at the tip to you know...for that same reason I'd think with the p-valve, you wouldn't want any extra slack at the tip, correct?

Once again, sorry I'm a moron!

The caths have adhesive on them so you generally use it for the whole dive day and then disgard. You don't generally remove it during the day....well I don't but then I usually do 2 quick dives and leave. I guess if I was doing a real long surface interval I might reconcider, but, I doubt it. You won't want to remove it at the end of the day either...it ain't fun. The attachment point is molded in so you don't have to worry about leaving room.

Once you see a cath your answers will become clear

Trim or shave first or at least be very careful with the adhesive. (This isn't a joke it is real advise)

It really is worth it though. :D
Chad

First you put the cath on and then you suit up and hook up your cath to the p-valve tubing.

Another thing to consider is priming the thing. I find that it is best to use the p-valve on the surface before descending to fill the tubing. Be sure to loosen the bolt before trying to use it though... a blown cath at the beginning of a well hydrated dive is a bad thing.

That brings up something else. Prime yourself. Hydrate well.

ckharlan66:
The attachment point is molded in so you don't have to worry about leaving room.
I know. What I meant was, with a condom you leave some slack at the tip, to catch what comes out. With this, I'd think you wouldn't want any slack, that way what comes out goes right in the tube. Otherwise, you or you're suit would get a little shower at the end of the day!

ckharlan66:
Trim or shave first or at least be very careful with the adhesive. (This isn't a joke it is real advise)
Oh boy did I find that out the hard way! Had to try it on just see where the most comfortable spot, was to make the hole in my suit. Hadn't trimmed the short and curlies in a while. OUUUUUUUUUUUTCH! Thank God no one saw me. I think the only thing missing from that scene was the retarded kid yelling "Franks and Beans!"

Uncle Pug:
First you put the cath on and then you suit up and hook up your cath to the p-valve tubing.
No wonder everyone says it's a pain hooking that thing up on a boat. That tube fits in there really tight. Then again, I'm anal, probably put it on farther than it really has to go, but I don't want that hose coming off at depth. What about putting a little dab of KY in the tip to help get the hose in?

Uncle Pug:
That brings up something else. Prime yourself. Hydrate well.
Hey, that's why I need the p-valve to begin with. That and my little girlie bladder!

grunzster:
...Hey, that's why I need the p-valve to begin with. That and my little girlie bladder!

Too bad.

My own all-time record is 11 hours, from LAX to Fiji, WITHOUT a bathroom break. Bladder must be made of iron, I guess.

My longest deco dive has only been 90 minutes, by comparison.

The secret is to avoid the caffiene drinks. Pure water will work its way though your system and even evaporate as sweat. Caffiene on the other hand has to go somewhere, and when it gets there, it burns inside of you until you vent it, as in P-valve.

Staying hydrated is the most importing thing in scuba diving. If you really need a P-valve to encourage that, then you really need a P-valve. C'est la vive.

grunzster:
What about putting a little dab of KY in the tip to help get the hose in?
You really don't want it to come undone while in use.

Here is a link to an excellent discussion of the topic on another board.

OMG ... I damn near wet myself reading that thread! I know it's a serious topic, but some of those posts are classic potty humor ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
OMG ... I damn near wet myself reading that thread! I know it's a serious topic, but some of those posts are classic potty humor ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Yup, and not only that, we did not even get to the part about how truly painful duct tape can be.

IndigoBlue:
Yup, and not only that, we did not even get to the part about how truly painful duct tape can be.

No ... I was stuck on the bit about installing two valves. How would one do that? Would you mount them both on the same side, or one on each leg? Would you use a Y-valve or an H-valve? Is this carrying redundancy just a bit too far?

Inquiring minds, and all that ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
No ... I was stuck on the bit about installing two valves. How would one do that? Would you mount them both on the same side, or one on each leg? Would you use a Y-valve or an H-valve? Is this carrying redundancy just a bit too far?

Inquiring minds, and all that ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Who knows?

Have you ever seen a two-headed snake at the circus? It bumps into a lot of things when it slithers along. With all the nuclear reactors going up all over the country, we might all need two of everything someday. Even with bladders made of iron.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom