Pronunciation of DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reefduffer,

If you watch the videos put out about DIR by GUE, you'll find that they pronounce both one letter at a time.

Hope that helps with a more authoritative answer, since is comes from the source. You can probably find the old DIR III video online someplace if you search for it.

Christian

"GUE Moke mek ***, Talk stink, like Beef!"

headhunter:
Reefduffer,

If you watch the videos put out about DIR by GUE, you'll find that they pronounce both one letter at a time.

Hope that helps with a more authoritative answer, since is comes from the source. You can probably find the old DIR III video online someplace if you search for it.

Christian
Thanks. Works for me.

reefduffer:
Not sure if I'm explaining myself or just feeding the trolls, but as a noob
I guess I'm a little defensive. I didn't think I was wasting anyone's time.

Yes it was answered definitively in post #2. That would have worked for me.
I'd have been happy to ignore the verse and "hooked on phonics" noise,
and walked away thinking I knew how to pronounce these.

But then it was also answered definitively, but differently, in later posts.
Ignoring the noise and other expressions of confusion:
Post #16 (Rigdiver - Profile not DIR, but cave, DM, etc.):
" I thought it was Gooeee".
Post #34 (Kevrumbo - Profile says DIR & GUE certified):
"It's phonetically pronounced "Duhr", ..."

So then I look back at Post #2 (JeffG) and there really isn't any
public profile that would cause me to trust his answer. Maybe y'all
know him as a DIR/GUE expert, but that's not clear to me based
on my available information, and even if it was, the conflict with
Kevrumbo is worth asking about.

So forgive my lack of precision in my second post. Rather than "definitive",
I should have asked for an "authoritative" answer. I hope you'll understand
why I now feel like there still isn't one. And frankly, why I'm almost at the
point of not caring.

WELCOME TO SCUBABOARD! I think everyone has given an answer in their own way. No one is being mean spirited, we just like to laugh sometimes. You have to admit some of the posts here have been a riot! BIG HUGS!!!! :X

Carolyn :D edging closer to the "DARK SIDE"

I actually asked JJ (Jarod Jablonski) this very question when I visited him in Extreme Exposure this past year. JJ is one of the founders and the president of GUE. He assured me that they pronounce either term one letter at a time. To his credit, he smiled and laughed when I pronounced them gooeee and duhr. I believe that he saw the humor in that pronunciation as many here have also indicated.

DIR holds a special place in our diving community. It appears that controversy has surrounded it since it's inception, and so it has passionate detractors as well as passionate advocates. Sometimes, humor is used to defuse the underlying angst between the two extreme factions. It's funny, but as the president of GUE, JJ was not nearly as arrogant nor as adamant as many have portrayed him. In fact, I found him disarmingly down to earth rather than some kind of caricature of a control freak. He was clearly embarrassed by the antics of some of those passionate DIR advocates and shook his head in chagrin when the term "stroke" came up. He is a genuinely NICE guy who is greatly concerned over diver safety.

I do remember his statement though, as we started to move to another subject: "You know, I don't care HOW they pronounce it, just as long as they can learn from it." And, he said that with a sincere smile on his face! Yeah, I would say that safety is the reason that GUE/ Gooee and DIR/Duhr exist. A dive agency by any other name... is still about safety.

NetDoc: Maybe your post should be part of one of the stickies. :)

NetDoc:
I actually asked JJ (Jarod Jablonski) this very question when I visited him in Extreme Exposure this past year. JJ is one of the founders and the president of GUE. He assured me that they pronounce either term one letter at a time. To his credit, he smiled and laughed when I pronounced them gooeee and duhr. I believe that he saw the humor in that pronunciation as many here have also indicated.

DIR holds a special place in our diving community. It appears that controversy has surrounded it since it's inception, and so it has passionate detractors as well as passionate advocates. Sometimes, humor is used to defuse the underlying angst between the two extreme factions. It's funny, but as the president of GUE, JJ was not nearly as arrogant nor as adamant as many have portrayed him. In fact, I found him disarmingly down to earth rather than some kind of caricature of a control freak. He was clearly embarrassed by the antics of some of those passionate DIR advocates and shook his head in chagrin when the term "stroke" came up. He is a genuinely NICE guy who is greatly concerned over diver safety.

I do remember his statement though, as we started to move to another subject: "You know, I don't care HOW they pronounce it, just as long as they can learn from it." And, he said that with a sincere smile on his face! Yeah, I would say that safety is the reason that GUE/ Gooee and DIR/Duhr exist. A dive agency by any other name... is still about safety.

DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

gooey gooey duhr duhr dar gooey dar

If you dont pronounce it right, you are a stroke and probably going to die...

:D

cancun mark:
If you dont pronounce it right, you are a stroke and probably going to die...

:D
:rofl3:

Excellent! :eyebrow:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom