Project Argonaut, totally new, vintage style DH regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Want one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chrome option for the can assembly? I like me some chrome

Nope, just black at this time. You never know, there may be different colors later but I doubt there will be chrome, the cost differential is too great. The cans are completely interchangable with USD/Voit 2 stage cans so you could get a set of those, have them rechromed and use them if you like. The prototype regs were all (most actually) dove with "borrowed" USD cans until the production cans were available....which remindes me, my second Phoenix needs it's cans back. :) I could see labels available to do that with.

I think it's a fantastic idea making a brand new double hose.
Vintage gear in itself is a non sustainable industry in the long run because to be true "vintage" obviously means the gear has to be old, and there is finite amount of vintage gear out there. Eventually it all gets used up and then that's it.
This will open the doors to many more people who are interested in double hose diving but never got into it because of the whole undertaking of researching, locating, purchasing, restoring, not knowing what they're going to get, ebay, etc., and all the rest of what has to be done to get into vintage diving.

With this, anybody could have a new modern double hose. The supply would only be exhausted if you stopped making them. I could see the benefits would be enormous for photographers, or people who just may want something different.

Great job!

Chrome option for the can assembly? I like me some chrome

I am sure if you want to front the money, my guess, about $6,000, to get chrome cans rolling, who knows. The Argonaut comes with a plastic can in black. Just like the Model T and for the same reason, economy of scale.

The Argonaut can is plastic for the same reasons all new regulators, with few exceptions, are plastic. Cheaper to produce, custom molded shapes, no EPA restrictions on chroming and no hand labor brazing the pieces together. The Argonaut can is actually superior in some respects to the traditional metal cans:

1. Much improved exhaust flow
2. Improved venturi
3. Lighter weight
4. O-ring sealed at body to can
5. Very dry (maybe almost to dry, lol)

So if you use the DA/RAM brass and chrome cans you will lose the improved venturi flow effect and the larger exhaust passage. The exhaust in particular on the Argonaut is about as low as I have ever tried to measure. Noticeably less than either a duckbill equipped or DBEV equipped metal can. This is because the brazed on metal can horns squeeze down restricting the air flow and the Argonaut is full diameter all the way to the mushroom exhaust valve.

I do not believe the Argonaut is intended to be faux vintage. It is a fully modern, state of the art, regulator that just happens to have twin hoses intended for explorationists, photographers, adventurers, non-conformists, divers who experience single hose jaw fatigue and divers who disdain the bubbles slapping their ears, noise and obscuring their vision and scaring the critters away. That it has vintage spirit is simply a plus.

Cozumel DM tries out the Argonaut and becomes one of the twin hose clan:

IMG_2893_zps479739bc.jpg

N

I think it's a fantastic idea making a brand new double hose.
Vintage gear in itself is a non sustainable industry in the long run because to be true "vintage" obviously means the gear has to be old, and there is finite amount of vintage gear out there. Eventually it all gets used up and then that's it.
This will open the doors to many more people who are interested in double hose diving but never got into it because of the whole undertaking of researching, locating, purchasing, restoring, not knowing what they're going to get, ebay, etc., and all the rest of what has to be done to get into vintage diving.

With this, anybody could have a new modern double hose. The supply would only be exhausted if you stopped making them. I could see the benefits would be enormous for photographers, or people who just may want something different.

Great job!

This reg is not intended to be vintage in any respect other than it shares some of it's design roots with DH regs of old. When AL revived the DH reg in 2005 with the new Mistral, it made some major mistakes in it's design, something you would think the once leader in DH regs would not have done, it was a horrible reg and to make matters worse they did a poor job of instructing the new DH diver on how to dive a DH.
This reg takes the best of the original designs and incorporates the upgrades and modifications that have been made to the DAs and RAMs over the last few years, then adds some new features to make it even better. I have dove a lot of DH regs and own ones that have been modified with the best parts available and tuned to the max. The Argonaut is slightly better than the best tuned Phoenix I have and much better on the exhaust. Like any DH reg it will require the diver to use it properly and accept the unique characteristics that are part of DH diving. I think the biggest challenge this reg will face is training the new DH user to use it properly and to appreciate the benefits of a DH reg.

I will volunteer for testing the training program:D

What appeals to me, is that with the venting behind the head, it would be easy enough to run the exhaust through a sponge like filter, causing the exhaust to come out as fix, and to make no sound....I saw this on the early BMD and Odysey Rebreathers when Jack Kellog was developing them as semi-closed....they would discharge through a sponge like filter, and zero noise would be created---for photographers or videographers intent on being silent in the water for some fish species that shy away from noisy bubbles of normal scuba divers--and who have gone to the ridiculous cost and high danger of rebreathers over open circuit--this new direction is worth pursuing!!!

AL did to the double hose with the New Mistral what Chrysler did to the once proud Jeep Wrangler with that stupid four door mall crawler JK. Both are an abomination to the respective species.

The Kraken sets a new standard for double hose regulators, (heck, maybe any regulator) and it is a high bar. I am sure, somebody, somewhere, some company more to point, with hundreds of thousands of dollars to spend and an office full of engineers, might could top. But, should I pull the triple dawg dare, nah.

N

Back
Top Bottom