Problems with Kiteboarders?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We had a lady killed by a fast moving canoe last year. (Waikiki)

well...put in a vegetative state.

Divers are responsible for their own heads. You look up and ascend in a spiral with your hand over your head...helps a little.

Who was it that mentioned the SMB ?????

Genius, pure genius . . . .

the K

Peter_C:
S
Kitebaorders ARE NOT BOATS, they are boarders. Boating laws do not apply. I may be wrong, but show me where it is in writing?

Not sure how a school zone came up? Is there a speed limit on the open ocean? I do not know of one? I

The navigation laws apply to anything that travels on the surface of the water. Motor boats, sail boats, wind surfers, and even kite boarders. In Bonaire within a certain distance of the shore there is a speed limit. I'm working from memory, but I think it's five knots within 50 meters.

The open ocean diesn't start for about 15 miles from shore.

"Peter_C]Kitebaorders ARE NOT BOATS, they are boarders. Boating laws do not apply. I may be wrong, but show me where it is in writing?"

IF the STIMA says they are, they are. A high speed object traveling on the water is a boat, reguardless of it's power or purpose.

"So what is the problem when diving in known dangerous areas to use an SMB? Because it is a hassle? "

Mainly because it will not work. Sorry but it simply will not work. Not to bad mouth the responsible kiters but lets face it, there is a long history of participants of high speed sports like kiting ignoring all the safety rules. Do you really believe a kiter doing 20-30 mph, getting 20 ft of air is really watching where he is going. Not likely. As an example, I recall several threads on this board of jet skiers using dive flags as targets. At least with boats we can hear the engines, the kite is pretty much silent.

The only real workable solution is separate areas and severe penalties for violators.

I missed the nice sandy beach entry for an Atlantis day dive on my most recent trip to Bonaire (we enjoyed diving there on our previous trip), but I don't begrudge the kiteboarders having a site to practice their sport safely.

With that said, enforcement of rules outside of the marine park scuba rules appears to me to be a challenge on Bonaire. I don't see the issue of kiteboarding rule-breakers being resolved any more easily or any sooner than the issues with unattended vehicles while shore diving. We have never had a vehicle issue during our trips, but we are cognizant of the potential for experiencing an event, both on Bonaire and Curacao.

These issues aren't preventing us from visiting either island. But our next trip is a return trip to Curacao, not Bonaire.

SMBs are great, so long as the person whose attention they are supposed to attract sees them in time and can react to what might happen around it.

Additionally, there may be reasons why a diver needs to ascend without the ability to shoot that bag first.

The SMB as a cure-all is sort of like putting jogging trails on downhill ski runs, but requiring the joggers to wear brightly colored clothing. It won't prevent them from being run over, but at least you'll get to see something pretty before you slam into it.

Saying something as fast moving as a kiteboarder in a good breeze should interact with swimmers and divers doesn't make sense. Have you seen how fast those guys move? It's impressive, but I wouldn't dive near them.

Everybody has a right to the water, but you need to work out a way that's safe, and trust everyone plays by the rules. Just going for it because no one says you can't is going to get people hurt.

As I am obviously biased, I plan on just reading the post of contributing members. However, I would like to add a few points:

1. Kiteboarding is a fast moving sport. There is a lot going on many times, but we are not out-of-control- though it may appear so. Think about it, if it has the power to yield 20ft airs, not being in control could be lethal.

2. Kiteboarders have the incentive to ride safe as it is their body attached to the rig. Bottom line, accidents have occured. I am shooting from the hip, but I bet 99% have affected the rider only.

3. Concerning the use of markers. Regardless of kiteboarders in or around Atlantis, it is my opinion that all divers should use markers and safety sausages. Never trust your safety to someone else. As I am sure you all dive in Cozumel, I am sure you can relate to the boat traffic (which ironically occurs in blue water) which places divers at a much greater risk than kiters. I never saw our dive master surface without a sausage. I have a feeling divers accept this risk because it is a necessary evil (interestingly every boat I remember used a prop- second thread anyone?). Assuming that everything will be o.k. when you surface is contributory negligence on behalf of the diver- in my opinion. By using markers it reduces the odds of the "worst case scenario."

4. Kites travel perpendicular to the direction of wind and a little upwind. Assuming we can just ride in the blue water, assumes the wind direction never oscillates- but is directly offshore. Additionally it assumes we can just go up-wind like we have an outboard motor. Up-wind travel is difficult and one of the first learned skills that not every rider has. Furthermore, although they are tradewinds, minor fluctuations impact our direction of travel and may have us going diagonal to shore instead of parallel. Additionally, it is better kiting near shore as the water is flatter. Ever ride down a dirt road after a rainstorm? You know what it feels like to kite in the blue water. How about going to that perfect dive destination only to be allowed to snorkel? Also, sometimes kite lines and bars become twisted or fouled- not a safety concern, but you have to swim in. Rule 1 of kiting is to never go further out than you can swim. How many of you would be able to swim 1/4 to 1/2 mile with gear and no fins after exhaustion?

In summation, and I really do thank you for your opinions, safety is everyones responsibility- not just the guy in the Ferrarri. However, I will definitely have a new perspective kiting Atlantis than I did last year. I would also encourage anyone travelling to stop by and talk to the local kiters. They are a great group and many of them are dive masters/instructors. Maybe you'll be encouraged to take a lesson! See you on the water- from a long way off!

Kiteboarder...I've been traveling to Bonaire for over 20 years. The main tourist attraction is diving. So, yes indeed you are the new kid on the block. My solution is to give you a certain area for your sport & stay STRICTLY within those confines. If any kiteboarder leaves the designated area they should be fined & prohibited from ever gaining access to the marine park. The same retribution that a diver would receive who wantonly broke the rules.

I guarantee you if someone hits a diver who is then seriously injured; in addition to the litigation which will be asserted against you, there will be such an uproar from the diving community that your sport will be banned completely from the island.
And by the way, the rules for marine vessels are in fact applicable to kiteboarders. Write to STINAPA for clarification.

So if you're zipping along & clash into a diver I don't think your safety sausage assertion will be an adequate defense.
Additionally, I would recommend that any divers who do have a "close call" with a kiteboarder notify STINAPA of same.

Kiteboarder...I've been traveling to Bonaire for over 20 years. The main tourist attraction is diving. So, yes indeed you are the new kid on the block. My solution is to give you a certain area for your sport & stay STRICTLY within those confines. If any kiteboarder leaves the designated area they should be fined & prohibited from ever gaining access to the marine park. The same retribution that a diver would receive who wantonly broke the rules.

I guarantee you if someone hits a diver who is then seriously injured; in addition to the litigation which will be asserted against you, there will be such an uproar from the diving community that your sport will be banned completely from the island.
And by the way, the rules for marine vessels are in fact applicable to kiteboarders. Write to STINAPA for clarification.
So if you're zipping along & clash into a diver I don't think your safety sausage assertion will be an adequate defense.
Additionally, I would recommend that any divers who do have a "close call" with a kiteboarder notify STINAPA of same.

Kiteboarder,

I don't think you have the full point on why folks like diving Bonaire without surface markers - because the rules were written so that they shouldn't be necessary. You should also check out the thread on the diver taken for a ride when his surface marker was snagged by someone fishing from a boat - pretty serious loss of control of ascent rate. I could see a similar effect, if not as long lived, if such entanglement were to occur with a kiteboarder.

Your note about boats and props is challenged on post #11 by Catherine - how many canoes with a prop? If so, they are typically not canoes.

I somewhat disagree that motorized boats pose less risk since detecting the direction a sound is traveling from is more difficult underwater. However, it does give a warning to look up, at a minimum.

The rules in Cozumel are quite different than Bonaire, and yet, divers have had amputations result there in run-ins with boats. However if the rules at Cozumel are more conducive to kiteboarding (I have no idea if this is the case since I have never tried kiteboarding), perhaps that's a better alternative - kiteboard at Cozumel to your heart's content since that's a spot you mentioned, and you wouldn't have to deal with the Bonaire Marine Park rules.

Back
Top Bottom