Problems with Certified to 130 feet in one course, circa 1975-1980

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I trained with LA County in 1970, I do not recall that there was a maximal depth limit. All of our training dives were considerably shallower. Diving with a steel 72, on Navy air tables, made deep diving pretty impractical.

Thanks Dr Sam. This certainly shows where the 130' limit came from. I was originally trained to NDL diving, not to a specific depth limit. All the reasons for not breaking 130' that you brought up were given, in addition I was given a lot of reasons not to break 30' until I had some experience and dealt with the problems associated with no BC, no SPG, and at times, no j-valve. Needless to say, it took me a lot longer to break 60' than most divers break 100' today.

In the '84 PADI OW manual ( copyright '78 to '84 I'm assuming this was in the earlier versions) in their General Rules (p119) it states:
Divers are not to exceed 130 feet in depth, with 100 feet being the recommended limit for sport diving, and 60 feet the recommended limit for novices.
Which are, from how it reads, a PADI standard.

I the '02 Padi OW manual (p204) the wording changes to:
...no dive should ever exceed the maximum depth limit for recreational scuba diving, 40m/130 feet.

Somewhere in between, the recreational limit of 130' was established as an industry wide standard. I was wondering when.

Bob

The New Science of Skin and Scuba Diving, 3rd Revision - (C) 1968 :

Page 64 - "Note that it would rarely be possible to make a dive to 150' or more, accomplish any useful work there, and be ready to start up - all within five minutes; so attempting to make such deep dives on a "no decompression" basis is seldom advisable."

Page 109 - "Dives beyond a depth of 130 feet are impractical for sport diving because of the limited air supply and the need for decompression."

It may have been in earlier editions, but this is the one I have....

In the '84 PADI OW manual ( copyright '78 to '84 I'm assuming this was in the earlier versions) in their General Rules (p119) it states:
Divers are not to exceed 130 feet in depth, with 100 feet being the recommended limit for sport diving, and 60 feet the recommended limit for novices.
Which are, from how it reads, a PADI standard.

I the '02 Padi OW manual (p204) the wording changes to:
...no dive should ever exceed the maximum depth limit for recreational scuba diving, 40m/130 feet.
There is another factor involved, and if you look carefully at the wording of the two quotations and the dates, I think you will see another reason.

In the early decades of sport diving (I am choosing my terms carefully), the US Navy tables ruled diving. If you wanted a 2-tank dive, you had to wait out a surface interval. The US Navy surface interval was determined by the off-gassing of the 120 minute theoretical tissue (compartment). This worked fine for the US Navy, but it was not so fine for the sport diving industry. Navy divers usually did only one dive per day, so they didn't really care what the surface interval was. Sport divers wanted to do more than one dive, though, and the Navy surface interval was extremely long, resulting in long waits that made dive schedules a real problem.

In the early 1980s, PADI research on sport diving showed that the 120 minute compartment was unnecessary for that kind of diving. For most dives the 40 minute compartment would work, but they went with the 60 minute compartment when they made their new tables. They also shortened the first dive limits and made more pressure groups to decrease the amount of rounding necessary. Finally, they eliminated decompression diving from the tables, end the dives at the point that a decompression stop would have been needed. This resulted in a dive table aimed at sport divers, people doing several shallower, shorter dives per day than the Navy did. They could now complete those dives in a reasonable amount of time without waiting interminably on a boat for the time they could start the next dive.

In order to differentiate the new tables from the old ones, they gave it a new name--the Recreational Dive Planner. Divers using that planing device had to stay within its limits, because if they violated them, the tables could not be used again until sufficient time to wash out the nitrogen and start over again.

That was about 1984--after your first quote and before your second.

There is another factor involved, and if you look carefully at the wording of the two quotations and the dates, I think you will see another reason.

In the early decades of sport diving (I am choosing my terms carefully), the US Navy tables ruled diving. If you wanted a 2-tank dive, you had to wait out a surface interval. The US Navy surface interval was determined by the off-gassing of the 120 minute theoretical tissue (compartment). This worked fine for the US Navy, but it was not so fine for the sport diving industry. Navy divers usually did only one dive per day, so they didn't really care what the surface interval was. Sport divers wanted to do more than one dive, though, and the Navy surface interval was extremely long, resulting in long waits that made dive schedules a real problem.

In the early 1980s, PADI research on sport diving showed that the 120 minute compartment was unnecessary for that kind of diving. For most dives the 40 minute compartment would work, but they went with the 60 minute compartment when they made their new tables. They also shortened the first dive limits and made more pressure groups to decrease the amount of rounding necessary. Finally, they eliminated decompression diving from the tables, end the dives at the point that a decompression stop would have been needed. This resulted in a dive table aimed at sport divers, people doing several shallower, shorter dives per day than the Navy did. They could now complete those dives in a reasonable amount of time without waiting interminably on a boat for the time they could start the next dive.

In order to differentiate the new tables from the old ones, they gave it a new name--the Recreational Dive Planner. Divers using that planing device had to stay within its limits, because if they violated them, the tables could not be used again until sufficient time to wash out the nitrogen and start over again.

That was about 1984--after your first quote and before your second.
I think it was actually about 1987, I don't have my copy of Deco for Divers by Mark Powell with me. It is covered in detail. The DSAT computer algorithm and the PADI RDP are based on the same data, analysis.

I have to ask, just how old are you, Sam? :D

I do have a number of old women living vicariously through me... :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Older than dirt-- I was diving years before JYC landed with his bubble machine...Your turn to figure it out

All I need is a bunch of menopause mermaids as fans

take care and recall my squadron's motto ;
Don't let the bastards grind you down -- only ours was in Latin and I only speak English and Spanish

Sam

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Older than dirt-- I was diving years before JYC landed with his bubble machine...Your turn to figure it out

All I need is a bunch of menopause mermaids as fans

take care and recall my squadron's motto ;
Don't let the bastards grind you down -- only ours was in Latin and I only speak English and Spanish

Sam

You're best referred to as "decrepit" then! :D

Back
Top Bottom