Problem with my wetsuit - air buildup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gordan

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello,

I am having continuous problem with my Mares Thermic wetsuit of building exhaled air in my hood and between shoulders.

To describe more, suit is 7 mm thick, two part, with hood. Hood is very closed, even is going over the mask, but only in the part that is over the face. When I am diving in shallow water air is building in my hood and between shoulders very quickly (of course). It is completely disturbing my buoyancy. And because thickness and my size I am already having 14 kilos of lead.

So, anybody with similar problem, and how it was solved?
I am so desperate that I am considering to install dry suit relief valve somewhere between shoulders to discharge air building in my suit. I am afraid to make bigger face opening on the hood.
If I dive with some other wetsuit which have bigger opening on the face, than I do not have this problem at all.

And I need 7 mm suit in the waters that I am diving.

TIA,
Gordan

The air is probably seeping in around your face from your exhaust. With my hoods (should work with yours also), I find that the provided vent holes are woefully inadequate. I usually take a large, very hot nail & poke additional holes from the crown to where the base of the skull would be. This should give a little more places for the air to escape. Note: this will allow a little more cold water to get in than normal. It seems to always be a "give & take" thing.

A hot nail will make a nice hole to let the air escape. (May not want to be wearing it when you do this though. :D)

I always have small hole punched in hood, at the back [not top], so when horizontal in water, air escapes. Works fine. My hood is part of wetsuit. If you spend time vertical, then add one to top also.

Fourth iteration here..... Put a hole in the hood. A very small hole will let a lot of air out, and you won't notice any type of chilling effect from it.

I also burn a hole over each ear as well as the top. helps make sure both that the hood vents & that I get water in my ears & not trapped air.

Thanks for all of your answers.

I did not mentioned previously, but trying to solve this problem I punched dozen or so holes with hot needle on the top of the hood (not head Reallydg :D, but considering). I does allow for some air to vent, but this is not enough. I even consider to use puncher for rubber material to punch some larger holes in the hood, but cold water... :) I am diving in 55 to 60 F, even colder.

Like tstormdiver said this air is entering around the face. Now I am concentrated on the hood seal. Tying to cut some of it and prevent it to going over the mask seal. I noticed that on the left and right side some of the mask seal is going under the hood and my suspicion is that the most air is entering in this area.

Also I have other buddies with the same suit, but nobody have problem of my magnitude.

Gordan

Punch a larger hole and put a rubber grommet in it. Small holes do little good as they close themselves off.

I noticed that on the left and right side some of the mask seal is going under the hood and my suspicion is that the most air is entering in this area.

Gordan--

The first thing I though of when I read your first post is that you're exhaling through your nose and therefore your mask; that your hood may be overlapping your mask skirt; and that's the air that's getting under your hood.

I suppose trimming the hood to clear the mask skirt would help. Working on that nose breathing would, too.

Try nail holes instead of needle holes before you go cutting on the hood.

Back
Top Bottom