Problem with Magnum First Stage Service by Authorized Service Center

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Waterskier1

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I took my Sherwood Magnum regulator in for service to the only local Sherwood Service Center to have it serviced last Aug. I have dive plans for Grand Cayman, Belize, Roatan and Cozumel in September, along with a two week stay in Bonaire in October. This is the same place I've been taking my regs for service since I bought them (used) in 2007.

I found the second stage to be very difficult breathing. I have two Magnum second stages, one that was harder and wet breathing that came with the first stage, and another I had just bought that was supposedly new-old stock (NOS) and never used. I didn't take the NOS in for servicing, and that second stage seemed to breath better. I have my reg configured, for single tank diving, with the old (just serviced) first stage attached to a 7' long hose to the old (just serviced) second. I have the NOS second stage attached to a short hose bungee that I wear around my neck.

So I took the original (recently serviced) first and second stage back and told the owner of the LDS my concern. He said he'd have his tech look at it. I asked what they set the inhalation (cracking pressure) to, and he said they don't have a magnahelic so just set it so it doesn't free flow. I week or so later, the tech called to say he didn't find anything wrong. I asked about cracking pressure and he said he doesn't adjust that, since it requires bending parts, but it doesn't need adjustment after set at the factory. I went in to pick up my reg and was charge again for a service job. I asked why I had to pay when the tech said he didn't do anything, and was told "the tech charged the store, so they have to charge me". I paid and immediately sought advice on another, reputable regulator repair shop.

I settled on one back east, and they found the IP too low to check the second stage, so they set out to find out why. They disassembled the first stage and found it full of water (note that I didn't dive it since I got it from the LDS). They found that they could not remove the Flow Restrictor Assembly and filter. They believed a partially clogged filter was the culprit. When they called me with this information, I asked why it couldn't be removed, and they said it was seized, and appeared to have not been touched for years. I asked for options, and they said that the regulator body would need replacing (at a cost of well over $100). I asked if they would try removing the Restrictor Assembly, with excess force if necessary, as there wasn't anything to loose by doing so. They tried, but it didn't work.

I had the shop rework the second stage and return both to me. They found the second to be slightly maladjusted (adjusted more for an octo versus for primary). Of course I paid for this service and shipping both ways.

Well, I finally got up the courage to approach the LDS owner regarding this today. I showed him the parts list, which he didn't understand regarding what part was the Flow Restrictor Assembly (this is part number 18 in my illustrated parts breakdown, and Sherwood Part Numbers 5105-13, -14 and -15. After I brought in the old reg body and showed him where it goes, he went back and brought out a repair parts kit and challenged me to find those parts in the repair kit. I acknowledged that they were not routine replacement parts, but the Sherwood Manual instructs you to remove them and replace if it doesn't have 13-27 cc/min flow. My LDS owner says that is not needed, and that that piece has no effect on the performance of the regulator. He said it is only to allow flow to the Bleed Valve. This doesn't make sense to me.

In any case, I presented the fact that his tech didn't follow the service manual in servicing my reg, and he countered that they wouldn't if removal would damage the regulator. I agreed that was a good procedure, but I should have been notified that the regulator was unserviceable at that time, instead of returning it to me as serviced and charging me for the service. It is not clear to me (or to him) if the tech attempted to remove the Flow Restrictor Assembly in any case, since there were no parts in the repair kit to install. I'm not sure if the body was cleaned or not, but if it was, it was in violation of the service manual which clearly in bold print not to clean the flow control element.

I believe at a minimum, the tech was lazy and didn't follow the service manual. He either didn't try to remove or didn't let me know he couldn't remove the flow restrictor assembly. Further, he didn't clean the metal parts, per the manual, or he cleaned them with the flow restrictor, a violation of the manual. I was not notified that there was any problems with the servicing of the regulator. As the filter got further restricted (possibly by cleaning the body with it still installed), the volume of air allowed to pass decreased, reducing the IP and causing hard breathing. This is what the east coast reg shop says.

When I presented this to the LDS owner, he got loud and defensive, saying that he and his tech knew a lot more about servicing regs than I did. I admitted freely that was true, that is why I brought it to him in the first place. But I said I had an independent party attempt to service them and they found these problems. He said that they went to the same Regulator School as he and his tech did, so they don't know any more than he and his tech. His emphatically stated that the flow restrictor assembly has no affect on the performance of the regulator and if that wasn't good enough, not to bother coming back to his shop again. Well, needless to say, I won't be. But, I need to satisfy my own curiosity, and owe this LDS owner an apology, if what he states is correct...that the flow restrictor assembly has no purpose.

So, are there any Sherwood Authorized Service Instructors (those authorized to teach repair techs) that can set the record straight? Or, would there be someone or some place I can write Sherwood (who would give a dam) and get an official response. The reg is toast. I can't fix that, nor is it worth trying to recover any damages, I just want to know which reg shop (if either) is correct.

Would that shop be the Underwater Connection?

They sound dangerous.

The flow restrictor is a very important part of the depth compensation of a Sherwood first stage. Any dealer or tech who told you otherwise is an idiot. Sherwood regs (except the SR1) are extremely simple and reliable and any tech who has trouble repairing one is not worthy of the name.

Ok, I've been doing a little more research - something I should not have to do, that is what I paid an Authorized center for. It seems that the item in question is part of the "balanced" first stage. If I understand this correctly, if this is "plugged", the "balancing" no longer occurs. Would this make it more difficult to breath at depth (my original complaint) at any tank pressure, or would it only affect the ability to breath at low tank pressure?

Also, as I was reading, I found that this reg's IP should be set to 135- 150 psi. The records at the shop show the IP was at 130 after it was serviced the first time. There are no records (so I was told) regarding the second time, since nothing was found wrong.

Could the combination of of low (out of spec) IP and the restrictor filter being clogged (this has not been determined though, since it can't be removed) yield the hard breathing at depth I experienced?

I think I should also ask what is Sherwoods requirements regarding "Servicing a Regulator"?

I ask because I may have the wrong impression of what is required. I found this to be true when I bought a "rebuilt" marine engine about 30 years ago. It turns out that "rebuilt" in that industry is considerably different that what I though it meant; I was expecting "remanufactured" (a term I though was used interchangeably) and got rebuilt.:shocked2:

So, maybe I was expecting the "Service" to be something it is not. Some people refer to this as "Annual Service", but I think that the process and procedures should be the same, whether it's done every 3 months or every 3 years, no?:confused:

Is it just checking IP and free-flow?
Is it just replacing the parts that come in a "Service Kit"?
Is there any requirement to do more than replace the parts in a "service kit" or even to investigate if something is amiss?
Is it required that the Sherwood "Assembly and Maintenance Guide" be followed? If so, must each and every step be followed, or is it just a guide of suggestions?

What should I expect from a "Sherwood Authorized Center" regarding certification or a statement of suitability for use after such a "service"?

If something in the "Assembly and Maintenance Guide" is not accomplished, whether because of lazyness, ignorance, inability (such as damaging the regulator), is there a requirement for the customer to be notified of this?

Maybe some of this should be put in the Regulator Forum, but I put it here, because I have lots of "opinions" and was seeking Sherwood's official position.

Hopefully someone from Sherwood, or someone authorized by them to instruct their reg course, or someone with reference to Sherwood's policy can provide some answers. :popcorn:

But, I'm still interested in any comments that will help me learn. I'm afraid I've just found myself a victim of a "follow-me dive" where I am blissfully expecting someone to take care of my equipment, and none of should be expecting that. :no:

If the flow control element is not letting pressure into the ambient chamber your reg will breath harder as depth increases (unless the one way bleed valve has also failed).

What any given shop may do during an "annual service" can be quite varied. After having problems with 3 different shops (Scubapro) , I turned to DIY. Generally speaking, manufacturers have limited control over their independent dealers. When I reported a problem with one shop to Scubapro, their response was for me to send the regs to a Scubapro service center. They were not even interested in the name of the shop.

Sherwood regs are easy to service and the manual is available on line at www.frogkick.dk I believe. Parts can be bought as well thru several places. I do all my own regs. I have sherwoods, oceanics and now HOG. That said I also spent the time and money to buy and set up a bench that includes an ultrasonic cleaner, IP gauges, Magnahelics, and am in the process of building a flowmeter as soon as I can get some other more pressing issues addressed. Magnahelics are cheap. Like as low as 10 to 15 bucks shipped. There is no excuse for a shop not having one. I have two. one measures inches of water and one millibars. Total investment for them and the hoses and mounts is less than 30 bucks. A balanced sherwood reg with a bad or obstructed flow restrictor will indeed breath harder at depth. This should always be checked at every service. Whether the manual says so or not. It is just good practice. I would run from that shop and not trust them for anything. Hell it sounds like I do a better job with my homebuilt setup than they do with their shop one.

I took my Sherwood Magnum regulator in for service to the only local Sherwood Service Center to have it serviced last Aug. I have dive plans for Grand Cayman, Belize, Roatan and Cozumel in September, along with a two week stay in Bonaire in October. This is the same place I've been taking my regs for service since I bought them (used) in 2007.

I found the second stage to be very difficult breathing. I have two Magnum second stages, one that was harder and wet breathing that came with the first stage, and another I had just bought that was supposedly new-old stock (NOS) and never used. I didn't take the NOS in for servicing, and that second stage seemed to breath better. I have my reg configured, for single tank diving, with the old (just serviced) first stage attached to a 7' long hose to the old (just serviced) second. I have the NOS second stage attached to a short hose bungee that I wear around my neck.

So I took the original (recently serviced) first and second stage back and told the owner of the LDS my concern. He said he'd have his tech look at it. I asked what they set the inhalation (cracking pressure) to, and he said they don't have a magnahelic so just set it so it doesn't free flow. I week or so later, the tech called to say he didn't find anything wrong. I asked about cracking pressure and he said he doesn't adjust that, since it requires bending parts, but it doesn't need adjustment after set at the factory. I went in to pick up my reg and was charge again for a service job. I asked why I had to pay when the tech said he didn't do anything, and was told "the tech charged the store, so they have to charge me". I paid and immediately sought advice on another, reputable regulator repair shop.

I settled on one back east, and they found the IP too low to check the second stage, so they set out to find out why. They disassembled the first stage and found it full of water (note that I didn't dive it since I got it from the LDS). They found that they could not remove the Flow Restrictor Assembly and filter. They believed a partially clogged filter was the culprit. When they called me with this information, I asked why it couldn't be removed, and they said it was seized, and appeared to have not been touched for years. I asked for options, and they said that the regulator body would need replacing (at a cost of well over $100). I asked if they would try removing the Restrictor Assembly, with excess force if necessary, as there wasn't anything to loose by doing so. They tried, but it didn't work.

I had the shop rework the second stage and return both to me. They found the second to be slightly maladjusted (adjusted more for an octo versus for primary). Of course I paid for this service and shipping both ways.

Well, I finally got up the courage to approach the LDS owner regarding this today. I showed him the parts list, which he didn't understand regarding what part was the Flow Restrictor Assembly (this is part number 18 in my illustrated parts breakdown, and Sherwood Part Numbers 5105-13, -14 and -15. After I brought in the old reg body and showed him where it goes, he went back and brought out a repair parts kit and challenged me to find those parts in the repair kit. I acknowledged that they were not routine replacement parts, but the Sherwood Manual instructs you to remove them and replace if it doesn't have 13-27 cc/min flow. My LDS owner says that is not needed, and that that piece has no effect on the performance of the regulator. He said it is only to allow flow to the Bleed Valve. This doesn't make sense to me.

In any case, I presented the fact that his tech didn't follow the service manual in servicing my reg, and he countered that they wouldn't if removal would damage the regulator. I agreed that was a good procedure, but I should have been notified that the regulator was unserviceable at that time, instead of returning it to me as serviced and charging me for the service. It is not clear to me (or to him) if the tech attempted to remove the Flow Restrictor Assembly in any case, since there were no parts in the repair kit to install. I'm not sure if the body was cleaned or not, but if it was, it was in violation of the service manual which clearly in bold print not to clean the flow control element.

I believe at a minimum, the tech was lazy and didn't follow the service manual. He either didn't try to remove or didn't let me know he couldn't remove the flow restrictor assembly. Further, he didn't clean the metal parts, per the manual, or he cleaned them with the flow restrictor, a violation of the manual. I was not notified that there was any problems with the servicing of the regulator. As the filter got further restricted (possibly by cleaning the body with it still installed), the volume of air allowed to pass decreased, reducing the IP and causing hard breathing. This is what the east coast reg shop says.

When I presented this to the LDS owner, he got loud and defensive, saying that he and his tech knew a lot more about servicing regs than I did. I admitted freely that was true, that is why I brought it to him in the first place. But I said I had an independent party attempt to service them and they found these problems. He said that they went to the same Regulator School as he and his tech did, so they don't know any more than he and his tech. His emphatically stated that the flow restrictor assembly has no affect on the performance of the regulator and if that wasn't good enough, not to bother coming back to his shop again. Well, needless to say, I won't be. But, I need to satisfy my own curiosity, and owe this LDS owner an apology, if what he states is correct...that the flow restrictor assembly has no purpose.

So, are there any Sherwood Authorized Service Instructors (those authorized to teach repair techs) that can set the record straight? Or, would there be someone or some place I can write Sherwood (who would give a dam) and get an official response. The reg is toast. I can't fix that, nor is it worth trying to recover any damages, I just want to know which reg shop (if either) is correct.

Kinda surprising that the manufacture wouldn't require their "authorized" dealers to have basic test equipment.

What any given shop may do during an "annual service" can be quite varied. After having problems with 3 different shops (Scubapro) , I turned to DIY. Generally speaking, manufacturers have limited control over their independent dealers. When I reported a problem with one shop to Scubapro, their response was for me to send the regs to a Scubapro service center. They were not even interested in the name of the shop.

Thanks, I was hoping that some minimum industry standard and more specifically a Sherwood standard existed. To listen to all the Regulator Techs, their job is sacred, life support, but they seems to no standard to assess an adequate job has been done. Don't these special regulator classes that are only open to authorized distributors of manufacturers equipment provide some sort of standards? Or can anyone do anything?

Sherwood regs are easy to service and the manual is available on line at www.frogkick.dk I believe. Parts can be bought as well thru several places. I do all my own regs. I have sherwoods, oceanics and now HOG. That said I also spent the time and money to buy and set up a bench that includes an ultrasonic cleaner, IP gauges, Magnahelics, and am in the process of building a flowmeter as soon as I can get some other more pressing issues addressed. Magnahelics are cheap. Like as low as 10 to 15 bucks shipped. There is no excuse for a shop not having one. I have two. one measures inches of water and one millibars. Total investment for them and the hoses and mounts is less than 30 bucks. A balanced sherwood reg with a bad or obstructed flow restrictor will indeed breath harder at depth. This should always be checked at every service. Whether the manual says so or not. It is just good practice. I would run from that shop and not trust them for anything. Hell it sounds like I do a better job with my homebuilt setup than they do with their shop one.

Jim, I have all the Sherwood Service manuals, and 5-8 rebuild kits. I also have an IP gauge, inline adj tool, and a cheap water tubing magnahelic gauge (which this shop said was not a valid gauge). I was in a hurry, and since I would be acting as a DM for my first time, and there were several scheduled deep dive specialty classes, I choose to let the Authorized Service Center do the work. I have complete confidence that I could follow the repair manual, and replace the parts in the kits. I did not feel that if there was a problem (I have another first stage which didn't meet the bleed spec) that I could troubleshoot and repair it. I have four (had 5 prior to this) Sherwood Magnum regulators that I bought because they were supposedly bullet-proof and each to work on, anywhere in the world. I have two for my doubles, and then a couple for pony/deco bottles. I thought it would be nice to have all the same.

I'm told (by this same Authorized Service Center) that Sherwood is getting out the of scuba industry, that they no longer make their regulators, and the valves are just a minor part of their overall industry. Guess I'll get rid of the remaining ones. I too have purchased 2 first and 3 second stage HOGs at the Black Friday prices. Luckily, I was called just the day before that sale and told that a replacement body for the Sherwood would cost more than a complete new HOG. And, the manufacturer will let me attend their reg classes and sell me, above the table, replacement parts.

Kinda surprising that the manufacture wouldn't require their "authorized" dealers to have basic test equipment.

What I'm finding even more surprising is that there doesn't appear to be any minimum level of service which requires any minimum level of test equipment to perform "Authorized Service".

Silly me, I thought manufacturers would have a policy and procedure that must be met to "certify" (I've never seen a cert) service. I suspect a shop could just take the rings off my hoses and turn them in for more repair kits and payment for service, without doing anything to my reg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom