Problem with Cobalt I front face (or maybe not?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phil_C

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi, Hopefully Ron or someone will come along and re-assure me my Cobalt is not history !

A couple of times I have had problems with silt accumulating under the rubber magnetic button pad, which usually shows itself by erratic button operation, this isn't a great problem because every six months or so I pop the front cover off, take the button pad rubber out, and rinse it all down, I clean any crud from behind the buttons and then put it all back together again - it has always then worked perfectly again.

However tonight I had a problem. The computer got very silty today, and tonight the up, down and right buttons just would not work. I pried the front off as usual and as expected there was a lot of very fine silt accumulated behind the button pad. The main problem I had though, was when the front cover came off there was a quite loud "pop" that sounded just like an "o" ring blowing, and low and behold when I looked closely the "o" ring around the clear plastic facia under the cover had lifted slightly.

When I fully removed the dislodged "o" ring, to clean it and replace it, the clear facia was just loose and easily lifted out to reveal the electronics beneath. I cannot see that there was any glue, welded plastic or anything else to hold it in, nothing seems to be broken, and it seems that the plastic facia was just held in by the "o" ring.

The "o" ring is undamaged, I have air dried the interior of the Cobalt with gentle heat to make sure no moisture has been introduced to the electronics, very lightly lubed the "o" ring with Christolube and refitted it all. It seemed to go back together OK, with the "o" ring properly seated.

Is this all there is to refitting it, or does it need something more doing to make it watertight?

If so where in the UK can I contact to get it properly sorted out.

Regards - Phil

Phil,

I wouldn’t recommend diving again with this Cobalt. What I strongly suspect is that a very tiny leak of high pressure gas into the electronics area pressurized the interior, and that’s what caused the O-ring around the lens to pop up when you lifted the cover. The lens was probably bulging up somewhat, and that is partly why the buttons were not working.

You don’t say if this is a Cobalt 1 or 2, or how old, but as I understand Atomic is covering under warranty any failure caused by leaking high pressure gas, regardless of the age of the computer. You are right that the O-ring is just pressed in around the lens- actually no lubricant is used so as to create a firmer seal. It’s held in place by the lens cover and water pressure. But if you have a high pressure leak, it’s very likely to blow out underwater and flood the entire computer.

I think this needs to be returned to Atomic, and at the very least the high pressure side needs to be replaced and updated. These parts have been redesigned in newer Cobalts so as to avoid any possibility of a high pressure leak blowing out an O-ring.

I’m sorry this isn’t better news, but I very much recommend returning this one.

Ron

Hi Ron,

Thanks for a prompt response, it is a Cobalt 1, and about 4 years old, it has about 200 dives on it.

It went back, some time ago, for the manufacturers recall and was returned with a new fascia, because it was amongst one of the serial numbers subject to the recall, which was something to do with pressure leaks I think.

It would make sense that there is a pressure leak, the pop I heard was exactly like an "o" -ring blowing, and seemed to have lifted the front of the "o" ring and perspex, it sounded just as if it had been under pressure, which did not make sense to me hence not just replacing it and carrying on.

No problem I will send it back to the dealer I bought it from. Looks like I'm back to tables and watches for a while then :)

But it is still a cracking computer, that I would recommend to anyone.

Thanks

Phil.

Phil, Thanks, we work hard to make the user interface work well. I'm sure Atomic will fix the problem.

Ron

Time for an Update - and I can only say I am extremely impressed with Atomics response to my problem.

I sent my unit, which was about 4 years old with maybe 200 dives on it, back to the shop I bought it from (a very large importer/distributor).

Their warranty department returned it to Atomic in the US.

I heard no more until 2 days ago when I got an e-mail from the shop to say they had received a replacement unit from Atomic and asking where should they send it.

I responded I was abroad until last night when I had an overnight flight back to the UK, and this morning at 8.30 a courier arrived with a brand new boxed unit, actually an updated Cobalt 2.

So all in all, an almost exactly 21 day turn around, for a return from the UK to the States, no arguing or problems and a replacement updated unit to solve my problem.

That has to be the best customer service by far I think I have ever received.

I have always liked and been very impressed with my Cobalt, and this has just totally re-inforced my trust and confidence in the brand - heres to 100's more dives with it - Thanks Atomic - a very satisfied customer.

Phil.

Hi @Phil_C ,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience. We hope we continue to make you proud. Happy and safe diving!

Time for an Update - and I can only say I am extremely impressed with Atomics response to my problem.

I sent my unit, which was about 4 years old with maybe 200 dives on it, back to the shop I bought it from (a very large importer/distributor).

Their warranty department returned it to Atomic in the US.

I heard no more until 2 days ago when I got an e-mail from the shop to say they had received a replacement unit from Atomic and asking where should they send it.

I responded I was abroad until last night when I had an overnight flight back to the UK, and this morning at 8.30 a courier arrived with a brand new boxed unit, actually an updated Cobalt 2.

So all in all, an almost exactly 21 day turn around, for a return from the UK to the States, no arguing or problems and a replacement updated unit to solve my problem.

That has to be the best customer service by far I think I have ever received.

I have always liked and been very impressed with my Cobalt, and this has just totally re-inforced my trust and confidence in the brand - heres to 100's more dives with it - Thanks Atomic - a very satisfied customer.

Phil.

Back
Top Bottom