problem recieving Nitrox card

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crawl79

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a situation that I would like some opinions on.

Last July I came home from a long business trip in Brazil. I decided to go on my second Flower Gardens trip. So I went to the website and found what shops were booking for the week I had time to go. The second shop I called had one opening so I took it. While I was on the phone with this shop I asked if it would be possible to take the Nitrox certification and they said sure. I drove down to Freeport and while waiting on the dock I meet the owner and instructor of the dive shop I called. He was a very nice man and he gave me the course material. I read the course material through and answered the questions in the book the first night before arriving on site. The next morning I was allowed to dive Nitrox and he showed me how to use the analyzer and log my mix. Also he checked my computer to make sure it was set for the correct nitrox mix. On the last day when coming in to dock. I took the test, he checked it. I signed the papers and payed him in full for the course. He told me the card would come in the mail and that he would also send a few pictures he took of me in the water.

Well I go back to work for a few months and when I return home I still don't have my card in the mail. I call him and he says he is sorry and he will take care of it but in the meantime if I ever need Nitrox the dive shop can call him to verify I that I am indeed certified for Nitrox. Well months after this I call my family at home to check my mail and I still don't have the card so I email him. He replys back with a short email saying he will take care of it. In January I finally go home for a week again and I still dont have the card. I really meant to call him but was so busy since I had not been home for months and never made the phone call.

I am now back working and living in Brasil and have access to a phone but I emailed him last week and have heard nothing.
From what I can tell he has been in the business a long time and is a nice guy but I am fairly annoyed at this.
I guess my plan is to call him one more time and if nothing happens report him to SSI as this was the Nitrox course I took with him.
Hopefully this will turn out all right because I would hate to have to notify SSI or maybe even worse mention his name and shop name on Scubaboard.

Regards,
Eric Q

Sorry for your problems. I don't know what to tell you, other than, keep being persistant. After I took the PADI nitrox class, it took several months for PADI to send the card. They sent it to the dive shop. When I went down to pick it up, it was the wrong card, they sent me the discover nitrox instead of the regular card. It took several more months to finally get the right card. I don't know why the process is so difficult. Just keep calling the shop every couple weeks. Be polite. It willlet them know you aren't going to go away. The shop can also mail or fax you a letter stating that you have completed the course, the agency it was with, the date taken, and all pertinent shop info. This paper should suffice for diving needs until you do get your card.

Good luck.

Comrade Stroke - FD

Thanks, I hope that is the case the instructor was such a nice guy I think that is the reason I havent been as persistant as I probably should have.

Nice guy my eye. If he was a nice guy he would do the right thing and submit your application. I can tell you I got my card 6 days after finishing the NAUI Nitrox. I took the course in Roatan and within the week, the card arrived at my house in the states.
I hope you have a receipt, if you do, I would send him a firm letter stating that if he doesnt furnish proof that he submitted your application, you would forward a complaint along with a copy of the receipt to SSI.

I guess I will ask here.... How long does it usually take to get a c-card from PADI? Just wondering. I finished my course/dives on 1/9/07. Nothing yet. How long should I wait until I start contacting?
Thanks in advance,
Tim

When I first got certified from PADI, I got mine about a month later and mine was sent from St. Kitts.

It depends how it is submitted, by mail it usually takes 2 to 4 weeks depending on if you sent to PADI. If your LDS submits it via online PIC then it usually takes about a week. Now if it's around a holiday or you happen to hit at a time when alot of certs. come in it can take a little longer.

Naui Nitrox cert took two weeks to get my card.

Perhaps he's not as "nice" as you think... Seems to me *he* would be the one annoyed with the delay, and act on it...

Not sure about SSI, but if you do the PADI training, you can go on their website and see your qualifications with your name and date of birth. If SSI has something like that, you can go see see if the guy put in your paperwork and you just haven't received your card or he just took your money.

ucrtwf:
I guess I will ask here.... How long does it usually take to get a c-card from PADI? Just wondering. I finished my course/dives on 1/9/07. Nothing yet. How long should I wait until I start contacting?
Thanks in advance,
Tim

PADI can take anywhere from 3 weeks to 2 months. NAUI is definitely faster, usually about 6-7 days. SDI/TDI is usually about 1-2 weeks. That's my experience anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom