Problem Pinnacle Evo II Dump Valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flightlead

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm having a problem with my Evo II dump valve.

When doing a valve drill and shutting down the left post I'm dumping air out of the dump valve. I have the valve shut all the way, doesn't help. I can see that my forearm might be pressing on the dump valve slightly, certainly my slate isn't. It is significant enough that taking a deep breath doesn't solve the problem. Adding air to my wing during a valve drill (or real emergency) is a band aid to properly solving the problem.

Any suggestions other than sending it off to get the valve moved 10 degrees or so further around my arm?

I'm having a problem with my Evo II dump valve.

When doing a valve drill and shutting down the left post I'm dumping air out of the dump valve. I have the valve shut all the way, doesn't help. I can see that my forearm might be pressing on the dump valve slightly, certainly my slate isn't. It is significant enough that taking a deep breath doesn't solve the problem. Adding air to my wing during a valve drill (or real emergency) is a band aid to properly solving the problem.

Any suggestions other than sending it off to get the valve moved 10 degrees or so further around my arm?

Use less weight so there is less air in the suit, and less air to escape.

Terry

Use less weight so there is less air in the suit, and less air to escape.

Terry

I'm perfectly weighted, although I need to trim a bit more head down. its a bulky undergarment with lots of loft. anyway, till some is going to escape, so that ain't much of a solution unfortunately.

I'm perfectly weighted, although I need to trim a bit more head down. its a bulky undergarment with lots of loft. anyway, till some is going to escape, so that ain't much of a solution unfortunately.

Unless your valve is broken or needs adjusting (always possible), you can't vent significant amounts of air unless your suit contains extra air to vent.

The vent is doing what it was designed to, so unless you tilt yourself so that the vent isn't a high point, or just keep less air in the suit, I'm really not sure what else you can do.

Terry

Well it might need adjusting. But perhaps I wasn't clear. Its not that its simply venting, its that my arm presses on the dump valve causing it to dump air. If I just hold my shoulder up it doesn't vent, its when the dump is pressed.

or maybe there is something fundamental about dry suit diving that I've been missing all along.

Well it might need adjusting. But perhaps I wasn't clear. Its not that its simply venting, its that my arm presses on the dump valve causing it to dump air. If I just hold my shoulder up it doesn't vent, its when the dump is pressed.

or maybe there is something fundamental about dry suit diving that I've been missing all along.

There is no way that your forearm should be hitting the dump valve doing valve drills. I would suggest working on you post shutdown technique. Try going slightly head down when doing the shutdown, it will make reaching the post easier. Also keep your elbow tucked in close to your head, this will also make it easier to reach.

I'd have to go with flightlead here. If you're hitting the DS valve when doing valve drills, either your DS valve was mounted in the wrong place, or some of your gear isn't adjusted right or you're doing something not right in your valve drill.

The valve shouldn't be hitting anything.

If it's just positioned wrong, you can have it moved the next time you send the suit in for repairs (seals, etc.)

Terry

There is no way that your forearm should be hitting the dump valve doing valve drills.

well that is exactly my point. the dump valve sits right on my bicep, not off to the outside of my arm. so when I am wearing my bulky undergarment and reach back my forearm presses just slightly on the valve. it isn't mashing it down, but its enough to start dumping.

is there a way to adjust the valve to make is less sensitive, or require more force to dump?

I'd have to go with flightlead here. If you're hitting the DS valve when doing valve drills, either your DS valve was mounted in the wrong place, or some of your gear isn't adjusted right or you're doing something not right in your valve drill.

The valve shouldn't be hitting anything.

If it's just positioned wrong, you can have it moved the next time you send the suit in for repairs (seals, etc.)

Terry

well, I suppose that begs the question "what is the right placement?". In the DUI I was renting before I bought this suit the valve was further around the outside of my arm. this valve sits more on my bicep.

well, I suppose that begs the question "what is the right placement?". In the DUI I was renting before I bought this suit the valve was further around the outside of my arm. this valve sits more on my bicep.

Another option is to just change the valve. They don't all have the "push to dump" feature.

Terry

Back
Top Bottom