Primary Regulator with a Necklace?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soggy:
Bungying the primary regulator is possibly the worst idea I've ever heard. It solves no problems and creates many.
I hate to tell you what you think, Soggy, but I dare say the 1.7cf SpareAir would give the primary bungee a run for it's money in your list of worst ideas. :D

ClayJar:
I hate to tell you what you think, Soggy, but I dare say the 1.7cf SpareAir would give the primary bungee a run for it's money in your list of worst ideas. :D

Why stop there? Bungee the SA! Use it as a primary. :wink:

OOA happens in a split second and hits you when you least expect it.

what would you do if your buddy suddenly grabs your reg out of your mouth...You gonna stop him and say NO NO...take my Octo?..My primary is for me not you...Think again.

No offense but having been in a real hairy OOA a few years ago, I can tell you for certain. It is not how everyone was shown in a class room pool.

It happens quickly, no signal just shear panic and grab...There is a bref moment where one can react. But PROPER donation is a an air source from which YOU have drawn a breath from. a Guarantedd air source. Nothing can guarante your octo is working at that particular moment. It could free flow as you donate...Causing panic to the OOA, there may be some form of obstruction causing your octo to fail at that moment. AT that moment..OOA is not thinking...they want air NOW.

It is simple to donate the primary from your mouth as opposed to donating an octo.

Once the OOA has the reg..HE is not letting go. In the mean time..you have to breath. So in one motion you should have your octo in your mouth. Hense having the octo around your neck bunggied.

I see where your coming from..been there.

shark.byte.usa:
Sorry I disagree in a recreational hose config the primary is mine and not for donation, that's what the octo is for. There are reg retrieval techniques we all should know well, but I can't think of why a necklace would be a problem, I think it's a pretty good idear actually especially for surf entry/exits.

-Garrett

It's a valid argument and apparently a problem, no further disagreement from me :wink:

And it's the only reasonable argument against it in this entire thread, maybe it's enough of a reason to squash the OP's idea, but a couple folks have remarked, "creates many problems" and even "worst idea ever" (now c'mon :D), aside from the paniced/OOA primary reg grabbers, please explain, I'm just curious to hear what I haven't thought of.

shark.byte.usa:
And it's the only reasonable argument against it in this entire thread, maybe it's enough of a reason to squash the OP's idea, but a couple folks have remarked, "creates many problems" and even "worst idea ever" (now c'mon :D), aside from the paniced/OOA primary reg grabbers, please explain, I'm just curious to hear what I haven't thought of.

Ok...what problems does this 'solution' solve?
1) None
2) None
3) None

What problems does this 'solution' cause?
1) Potential for a huge cluster when an OOG diver comes up to you looking for something to breathe

What could be worse than causing a huge problem during the worst situation one can get in underwater!? It doesn't get any simpler than this.

The solution that is proven to work in pretty much any situation you'll find yourself in, is to donate the primary regulator with your backup regulator bungeed around your neck. Even a standard recreational octopus configuration (which is a terrible configuration, too) is better than a bungeed primary since you at least have an option of which reg to donate.

Soggy, while you may know I dive a long hose config myself, I have to disagree with you a little.

The problem it solves is recovering your primary faster should it get knocked out of your mouth. That's why the OP asked the question in the first place, asking about "using a necklace to hang primary regulator to prevent it floating away in case it is knocked out of a diver’s mouth by a fin or hand by other diver."

As for the necklace causing problems and preventing donation, that's BS. Don't use the ziptie method, use the bungee and sliding knots method to attach the necklace. It'll pop free with a good sharp tug, no problem.

Thumb_IMG_0232.JPG
Thumb_IMG_0233.JPG

(extra long ends had not yet been trimmed in these pics)

Mind you, I'm not crazy about the idea, but it would indeed help with the situation the OP sketched. Definitely a case of substituting gear for skills, but that's another issue.

CompuDude:
The problem it solves is recovering your primary faster should it get knocked out of your mouth. That's why the OP asked the question in the first place, asking about "using a necklace to hang primary regulator to prevent it floating away in case it is knocked out of a diver’s mouth by a fin or hand by other diver."

It would be a solution, if what you described was a problem.

As for the necklace causing problems and preventing donation, that's BS. Don't use the ziptie method, use the bungee and sliding knots method to attach the necklace. It'll pop free with a good sharp tug, no problem.

Yeah, until that falls out when you don't want it to, and now you can't find your reg again, thus negating the "solution" to the original "problem."

It's pointless. There is not a problem to be solved here and there is a way that has been proven, over and over again, to work. Why reinvent the wheel as a square?

MikeFerrara:
All this talk of panic and divers grabing things. I think some of you just need to keep better company. LOL

I second that motion. Dive solo and the problem is eliminated. I am better company to myself

Back
Top Bottom