Primary Regulator with a Necklace?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can think of a reason that hasn't been posted yet. In a real OOA situation a diver comes up and grabs the reg from my mouth and yanks. My necklace snaps off (they are made to) and I get snapped in the face by my necklace or the necklace doesn't release, but the OOA diver's grip does and I get hit in the face by my rebounding Reg. I don't like either solution.

I'll keep my primary 7foot hose regulator in my mouth and an OOA diver can grab it or I can hand it to them then just tilt my chin down and start breathing off my backup.

I believe whether its a necklaced backup or a necklaced primary the necklace should be designed to fail without huge ammounts of force or degrading the performane of the second stage (mouthpiece falling off). My necklace is held on with a zip tie in addition to the zip tie that holds on the mouthpiece. The ends are not knotted so it can be pulled free. I have been able to reassemble this underwater when yanked free.

Why is this important? What happens if someone grabs your necklace backup not your primary. Reasonable as thats what many organizations teach and it is "in the triangle". This could take someone from near panic to panic as they run out of options or more stress piles on. This is simply my opinion, I represent no one but myself.

I dive the long hose primary with a necklace backup and I do it in rec diving. So I don't think there is a "recreational hose config". Now I do it mostly for preperation for cavern and cave, but if I gave up those pursuits I wouldn't go back. I had the common thoughts about the long hose and necklace when I first read about them. Two things around my neck choking me??? No thanks. However you can't judge something you haven't tried. So I tried it, again mostly because of future cavern and cave plans and I believe one should be master of their gear before such pursuits. I was diving a BP/W but with short hose/octo config because I like the less is more attitude. Guess what, no choking, no confusion, just my backup right where I can always get to it. Sweet.

I applaud thinking about your issues, but in this case I would give the long hose and necklace backup a try, you might like it. I know I did.

my2cents

Vayu:
For example why not dive with two wings or a light on your head?
Because then you'd be annoyed by people calling you "Angel"? (Be sure to use a round light so you're properly DIH -- Doing It Heavenly.)

All this talk of panic and divers grabing things. I think some of you just need to keep better company. LOL

I've given some thought to this as well (although I hate wearing "jewelry") sine I'm a videographer and only have one hand free to retrieve my reg should it come loose.

One great thing about having your backup on a necklace is that with a little practice you can even get it in your mouth with no hands.

One nice thing about having a long hose wraped around you is that if you do drop your primary it will be hanging immediately off your right shoulder and not flopping around you someplace.

But, a question, why would you need more than one hand to recover a reg anyway? Reach behind you with your right hand, grab the hose at the first stage and follow the hose to the reg.

shark.byte.usa:
Sorry I disagree in a recreational hose config the primary is mine and not for donation, that's what the octo is for.

if a panicky diver comes to you OOA and grabs your primary, and it's bungeed around your neck, all sorts of trouble will arise. that is the most likely scenario to lead to catastrophe. avoid it.

the best configuration, for any kind of diving, is to pass your primary off to an OOA diver (that way you know you are passing a working regulator) and keep the backup reg bungeed for yourself. bungeed around your neck, it will be easy to find when your primary gets snatched from you, probably without much warning.

make it easy on the OOA diver; he's the one closer to panic; last thing you want is a fully panicked diver all over you: let him have the primary without any trouble. get gas in his or her lungs NOW

make it easier on yourself: have the backup bungeed so you can easily find it and put it in your mouth if the primary reg is snatched from you.

As someone mentioned earlier the necklace must be able to release the regulator if needed.

Nice posts by everyone so far. This is way too civil.

In the 60s long before there was a such thing as an octapus or any of that, regulators routinely came with a snap on, adjustable, neoprene strap. I still have some of them and they worked very well but since BUDDY BREATHING was the method of air sharing taught at that time the dive agencies mandated their removal so as to eliminate the possibility of not being able to unsnap or pull loose the necklace strap in an OOA circumstance.

However, Borac, I don't think what you suggest is a good idea and I am to tired to type all the reasons why.

N

Someone wrote that in "recreational diving" one is "taught" to donate the octo -- THAT is ONLY true for those who use the "octo" setup. There are some (many?) of us who use a recreational BC and an AirSource/Air2 type inflator which means that as RECREATIONAL divers, we are taught (and must) donate our primary. NOT all "recreational divers" use the octo system.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom