Primary Regulator with a Necklace?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O.M.O.H.:
Well if it’s kicked out of your month you have to start exhaling anyway J.

I made a necklace out of surgical tubing and then I used a zip-tie to attach it to the regulator flange over the existing zip-tie that holds the mouthpiece in place. Then I tied off the ends of tubing to secure the necklace in place. (Did that make any sense?)

Cheers.

Why do you need to exhale? If you arn't rising then keep that gas in your lungs where it might do some good.

What happens if someone comes up to you and tries to grab that primary out of your mouth?

Good idea for a reuseable one. I like it. Turns out Manta sells a commercial version (http://www.scuba.com/shop/product.asp?category=37&fromsearch=1&hashvalue=034107) but making your own is fun.
As per the DIR way of doing it, that's what shark.byte was showing - the bungie is captive and you make one for each reg. you would like (although for a DIR setup this would only be for the safe-second reg.). Note that in this case the same zip-tie is used for the necklace and for keeping the mouthpiece on.

Vayu:
1. The primary should be ready at all times for donation to your buddy. Having a necklace is likely to slow it down.
Sorry I disagree in a recreational hose config the primary is mine and not for donation, that's what the octo is for. There are reg retrieval techniques we all should know well, but I can't think of why a necklace would be a problem, I think it's a pretty good idear actually especially for surf entry/exits.

-Garrett

shark.byte.usa:
Sorry I disagree in a recreational hose config the primary is mine and not for donation, that's what the octo is for. There are reg retrieval techniques we all should know well, but I can't think of why a necklace would be a problem, I think it's a pretty good idear actually especially for surf entry/exits.

-Garrett

That's all well and good assuming that the OOA diver is calm and comes over and signals you and you know damn well that your octopus hasn't fallen out of its holder and it works. If the diver is panicked he is gonna grab the first thing he sees, and he knows the one in your mouth works, if it's on a bungee, you could be in for a problem.

Recreational diving teaches the octo thing. Technical divers are trained to receive/take the regulator from the mouth of their "buddy". ONE reason it's not uncommon in stressed situations for a diver to take the reg from another divers mouth. Having your secondary readily available is nice. If your primary reg is snatched and you are diving recreational with necklace on your primary you might not be happy.

If your an OOA diver..your going for the reg in your buddies mouth...no time to fiddle with the octo.

Recreational or tech nical...does not matter.

You should always give an OOA diver a working reg. Meaning the one your just took a breath from. You are asured a working air source.

OOA divers do not want you to fiddle with your octo...no time for it.

I was in several OOA situations...I always donated my primary...calm the situation down as I take my octo and breath from it....Having it around my neck was a simple move.

Makes for a safer situation.

scarefaceDM:
If your an OOA diver..your going for the reg in your buddies mouth...no time to fiddle with the octo.

Recreational or tech nical...does not matter.

You should always give an OOA diver a working reg. Meaning the one your just took a breath from. You are asured a working air source.

OOA divers do not want you to fiddle with your octo...no time for it.

I was in several OOA situations...I always donated my primary...calm the situation down as I take my octo and breath from it....Having it around my neck was a simple move.

Makes for a safer situation.

Excellent post... A real OOA situation is nothing like the practice in the pool or checkout dives OOA. A panicked diver will rip the reg out of your mouth because he can see you are breathing from it and knows there is air coming from it.

I really think all agencies should switch to the necklace way of stowing regs (donate your primary, breathe from the octo around your neck). I am not saying that because I am a tec diver but because it is a fail-safe method even in PANIC situations (which usually are with new divers)

Besides... I have done a LOT of dives where I see divers' octos trawling for treasure in the sand :shakehead ... I sure as hell wouldn't wanna be breathing from that :wink:

RDP:
Recreational diving teaches the octo thing. Technical divers are trained to receive/take the regulator from the mouth of their "buddy".

Some recreational classes teach students to donate the primary and keep the octo for themselves. With a little situational awareness you will see them coming and have a reg in your mouth as you are handing them one.
Ber :lilbunny:

Ber Rabbit:
..With a little situational awareness ...
Ber :lilbunny:

Now that's really asking a lot, isn't it? :eyebrow:

Back
Top Bottom