Primary Reel Size Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smorneau

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I can’t decide on a new primary reel. I am looking at the Light Monkey reels and don’t know if I should get a 400ft or a 800ft as my primary. I am just getting into tec and hope to be doing some northeast wrecks as well as doing a cavern/cave class on my next visit to MX or northern FL. I just don’t want to buy one too short or longer than needed. Why one size or another?

Thanks

Look at a co. called Reef Scuba too....The design is different than LM [I use LM, Reef Scuba and Hollis reels, depending on what I need ] and they will customize a reel for you...They're a little bigger, side handle-vs-top handle, than LM, but more 'user' friendly......

I can’t decide on a new primary reel. I am looking at the Light Monkey reels and don’t know if I should get a 400ft or a 800ft as my primary. I am just getting into tec and hope to be doing some northeast wrecks as well as doing a cavern/cave class on my next visit to MX or northern FL. I just don’t want to buy one too short or longer than needed. Why one size or another?

Thanks

400' is more than enough.....

400'.

The 200' is too short for launching a bag from the bottom in a ripping current, and the 800' is a bit unwieldy.

I have the LM 400' and love it. I'm not a caver, just lots of OW stuff. Also, get a dice for the end of the line. The warm water cave guys will sneer at you for adding the dice, but let them. They don't wear dry gloves.

All the best, James

As noted above, 400' is fine. Mexico is the only place I've ever needed a full 400' to reach a main line. They have some big caverns there with the lines placed far back in some of them.

Offshore, you need a fair amount of scope to get a bag on the surface from 200 or so feet in a strong current, especially if you encounter currents in two different directions.

Most of the cave "primary" reels hold 400' of #24 line, and you can add a bit more length if you go with number #18, line, or for wrecks you can go a bit shorter with #36 and get more abrasion resistance, but a 400' reel works well with any of the above approaches.

-----

The Salvo/Light Monkey/Halcyon reel is a fine design relying on minimum clearances to help prevent birds nesting the reel, and 99% of the time it works just fine, but that last 1% will be almost impossible to clear under water.

The other approach is the Larry Green / Ralph Hood designed reel. It is also a side handle reel but uses a very open design to make it easy to stop and correct any incipient birds nest that may occur. Personally, I prefer this design as you will bird nest a reel sooner or later, and I'd prefer one that lets me clear it quickly under water.

With both of the above designs, I find I can hold the reel in my left hand along with the light holding the reel at about a 45 degree angle to let the light shine forward, then reel with the right hand - that prevents the light dancing around and creating any distractions to the team. And again with both reel designs you can easily control tension on the spool with your fingers.

Way back in the day I used a Reef Scuba reel, and at the time (early-mid 1990s) they were pretty cutting edge, but they are hold tech and not as user friendly as other side handle reels available today, are less amenable to modern light heads and goodman handles and are not as easy to control tension on the spool - but they remain popular with many divers.

400' is plenty. Anything bigger isn't needed at all.

LM makes a fine reel.

I am also looking these days at various reels.. what about the Kent Tooling ones (specially the ratchet version)? Has any of you used them?

I tried a side handle ratcheting reel a decade or so ago and was not impressed. I prefer to tension the reel with my hand, and I am not a big believer in the greater complexity of a ratchet reel with the spring and various levers that can stick, break, or otherwise fail.

And, all stainless steel construction sounds great from a durability standpoint, but it results in an overly heavy reel that is in the real world, no more durable than a well made aluminum/delrin/polycarbonate reel.

400'.

The 200' is too short for launching a bag from the bottom in a ripping current, and the 800' is a bit unwieldy.

Where are you launching a bag from that 200' of line wouldn't get to the surface? An SMB isn't really required below 40' and lifting anything significant off the bottom you shouldn't have a kite string approach to control.

For the majority open water situations finger reel of 200' is more then enough. The only open water situation I can think of that would require more then 200' of line would be marking out a site for people to follow.

Where are you launching a bag from that 200' of line wouldn't get to the surface? An SMB isn't really required below 40' and lifting anything significant off the bottom you shouldn't have a kite string approach to control.

For the majority open water situations finger reel of 200' is more then enough. The only open water situation I can think of that would require more then 200' of line would be marking out a site for people to follow.

If you're doing a drifting deco on a deeper wreck with a decent amount of current often times a 200' reel isn't going to cut it.

Also, as the OP is in Maine, a longer reel is often needed on the wrecks up here to find the up line.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom