Primary light for cave

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
P

PedroPec

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,
I need advice on purchasing a primary light. I live in Europe and intend to acquire a sidemount primary light with a canister that has technical support in Europe, with at least 4000 lumens and a good quality/price ratio. Which brand/model do you recommend? Thank you.

I would say focus more on quality and functionality than having 4K lumens which really isn’t necessary. I would also stay away from any handheld primary lights (especially BigBlue) and get a corded light with a decent sized battery so it can grow with you. A lot of the cheaper lights like BigBlue and OrcaTorch also overestimate their brightness and burn time and don’t have constant output (instead, over time, they will gradually decrease in brightness). The nicer, more expensive lights generally are constant output and will give you the same level of brightness until the light dies.
Do you have any recommendations, even for more expensive Lights? Who can sell and give customer service in Europe (European Union)? Thanks

I like my Gralmarine, it's a 3xml2. Several choices for battery. I rarely use more than the mid-level in caves/mines, so even the 10ah battery lasts a long time.
At least they are availible in Spain: GRALmarine

Hi,
I need advice on purchasing a primary light. I live in Europe and intend to acquire a sidemount primary light with a canister that has technical support in Europe, with at least 4000 lumens and a good quality/price ratio. Which brand/model do you recommend? Thank you.
You have excellent Ammonite. And you can easily buy Halcyon.

Thanks for your answer. I think Light Monkeys doesn't have dealers in Europe. Nanite it seems good, but unfortunately the canister cord doesn't have the 90º for sidemount (if I searched well)
They don't sell a light with a 90deg cable gland, instead they just include a 15cm longer cable for sidemount use. I use a tech 2 for sidemount with a 120cm cable. It works fine, but I'm not that tall. A convenient feature of the Tech 2 is that you can remove the lens and use it as a video light.

Thanks for your answer. I think Light Monkeys doesn't have dealers in Europe. Nanite it seems good, but unfortunately the canister cord doesn't have the 90º for sidemount (if I searched well)
When I use mine for sidemount config I put it on the back of the harness and run the cord over my shoulder. But I have many clients who use the Nanite even for sidemount; the cord is long enough to butt-mount it without putting strain on the inline cord gland.

Don't need but the 10 or 15ah can. The 10ah will probably do for 99% of cave divers in the world for runtime even with the 32w head.

I run the 15ah with the 32w myself. Which I charge twice a week. As a working instructor. So... again... the 10 is probably big enough artillery and it ain't that big.

Twice a week?

What setting are you using?

But in Europe, who sells and have customer service for LM? Thanks
Dunno. I think the best answer to that will come from LM themselves. Suggest you contact Corey Mearns (email or, better, phone) and discuss. He is a straight shooter and that way you have the definitive answer.

I can say I have had required service on my light once in 10 years and that's when I flooded it because I was an idiot.

Good luck.

Hello

Nanight, Gralmarine (dimmable, 90-degree connection on request, cable length as desired), Scaelo, (handheld and cable, spot and video, dimmable) Thor (tube-design), Oceanex, TillyTec (handheld only, custom-made or of-the-shelf).

I own two Gralmarines, Scaelo and an old TillyTec. I bought the Scaleo for traveling. One of my Gralmarine-batteries has too much capacity for carry-on-luggage. The other needed a permit by the carrier which wasn’t always easy to get.

Best wishes Jens

Hello

Nanight, Gralmarine (dimmable, 90-degree connection on request, cable length as desired), Scaelo, (handheld and cable, spot and video, dimmable) Thor (tube-design), Oceanex, TillyTec (handheld only, custom-made or of-the-shelf).

I own two Gralmarines, Scaelo and an old TillyTec. I bought the Scaleo for traveling. One of my Gralmarine-batteries has to much capacity for carry-on-luggage. The other needed a permit by the carrier which wasn’t always easy to get.

Best wishes Jens
Thanks. I'm going to study your suggestions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom