Primary for my future tec class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LanceRiley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, im taking up the GUE fundumentals and tec pass on the 1st week of january
The instructor will loan me some lights to train with for the class. He has several.

I'll probably take tech1 and cave1 this year too... after i get all the prerequisite dives.

Im looking at the UW LD-40 which is very .... pricey.. and i hear is one of the top models nowadays.

but im curious....

Halcyon Focus 2.0 vs UW LD-40 ? is there much difference? considering the directrion im going? i'll probably go through cavernous caves. no squeezing inbetween crevices.

also they have smaller models.. Focus 1.0 and UW LD20 . I noticed that Focus 2.0 and 1.0 has difference in the 1m brightness but similiar in 5m.

opinions anyone?

Dive-Rite LX20+

UWLD LD-40 or LM32W VF. Pick battery size according to your burn time needs. The VF isn’t a factor I would use to differentiate the two.

VF models are pretty nice for video, in one of my videos you can see my dive buddy switching from narrow mode to wide mode on his LM, while I had to hold my narrow beam primary in such a way that it doesn't appear on the video (which mean pointing it down).

But I can't really think of a reason to have a wide beam light that doesn't involve photos and videos.

VF models are pretty nice for video, in one of my videos you can see my dive buddy switching from narrow mode to wide mode on his LM, while I had to hold my narrow beam primary in such a way that it doesn't appear on the video (which mean pointing it down).

But I can't really think of a reason to have a wide beam light that doesn't involve photos and videos.
So VF is for video lights... not interested in em.

So VF is for video lights... not interested in em.

Not really. I'll explain real quick. The VF isn't a video light. It's a primary. 95% of the time, I have it set to narrow focus. It still has a lot of spill and power, but it's a normal primary light. If you adjust the focus to wide, it works as a decent video light in small to moderate sized cave. The only downside to the light monkey vf 32 is its tendency to backscatter in low viz or murky water. For those conditions, I prefer a halcyon light. The focus and flare punch almost like an HID. But I use the light monkey for the majority of my diving. It's a fantastic light that can pull double duty as a video light in a pinch.

Hi, im taking up the GUE fundumentals and tec pass on the 1st week of january
The instructor will loan me some lights to train with for the class. He has several.

I'll probably take tech1 and cave1 this year too... after i get all the prerequisite dives.

Im looking at the UW LD-40 which is very .... pricey.. and i hear is one of the top models nowadays.

but im curious....

Halcyon Focus 2.0 vs UW LD-40 ? is there much difference? considering the directrion im going? i'll probably go through cavernous caves. no squeezing inbetween crevices.

also they have smaller models.. Focus 1.0 and UW LD20 . I noticed that Focus 2.0 and 1.0 has difference in the 1m brightness but similiar in 5m.

opinions anyone?

Alot will depend on where you dive. I have had UWLD lights for years. I just upgraded to the LD-40 but haven't gotten it in the water yet. I love my UWLD 26 and 35, but I joke that they're the Underwater Silt Dude. Because the beam angle is so wide you get alot of backscatter. Even in crystal clear cave if you're trying to look at a tunnel far away it doesn't have the punch to really see far away like you could with an HID. It's not saying they're bad lights at all. They're excellent and some of the brightest you will find. I can see things in caves with my UWLD that I couldn't with other lights. The wide beam angle can also lead to troublesome team signalling. If you dive regularly with someone it's a non-issue. But if I'm in the lead my UWLD needs to be on medium or low to see other people's signals effectively. Also you have to signal with the light a little differently than others so you're buddy can see what you're saying. None of those things should be deterrents, but every light has it's quirks. The UWLD 40 has a tighter beam than the others so I'm excited to compare it. I will report back.
I just bought my wife a Halcyon Focus 2.0. She borrowed one because her light died and she fell in love. She's always liked her UWLD but hated the backscatter. The Focus is an LED that performs like an HID, meaning it has a tight beam and can punch through backscatter. You can also widen the beam for video. She absolutely loves it. The big issue is the battery is odd. It's very small, but gives about 5 hours of dive time on high. We ended up getting her one on an e/o with the battery and then also bought a big light monkey 30ampH dual outlet canister so she can run her heated vest and light at the same time and never worry about battery. So she has the stock battery for regular dives and the LM battery for bigger dives and when heat is needed.Some people don't like that on the Halcyon when the beams it's tightest you can see the 4 LED emmiters. The reality it's a non issue because it doesn't need to be that tight. A slight widening just past full tightness and you can't see the LEDs. (They look like a cross when you see them).
All Light Monkey products are excellent and you can't go wrong with them. I personally don't like their VF (variable focus) light because I don't like the color temperature. My buddy had one and it just looked odd. I've been told that has been changed, but I would do a try before you buy and make sure what you try is the newest version.

The reality is you can't go wrong with an UWLD, LM, or Halcyon light. If you have the chance to dive multiple before you buy you should. Personally I'm not a fan of Big Blue or Dive Rite lights. DR lights never quite perform as well as the other 3 brands in my opinion. Big Blue lies about their lights output which bothers me and they're customer service isn't great (and I work 10 minutes from their showroom so I could just walk in if I wanted).

Good news is LM, UWLD, Halcyon, and Dive Rite all have the best lights in the industry (imo) and all definitely have the best customer service.
For example, I haven't tried my UWLD LD40 yet because my wife took it on a dive and it flooded in the first 10 minutes. I was never once worried because I knew Bobby would take care of it no questions asked. Come to find out his distributor sold him cord that was not the spec he ordered and led to the floods. It was immediately fixed and Bobby was overly apologetic eventhough he didn't need to be as it wasn't his fault.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom