Halcyon Focus 2.0 vs Focus 1.0

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LanceRiley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi im going through Gue fundamentals and Tech pass on January. I will be borrowing some lights before I buy one.

I have checked out Halcyon Focus 2.0 and compared it to Focus 1.0

seems that their main difference in brightness is in the 1m range. but at 5m range they're both the same?
does this seem odd? or is the Focus 2.0 necessary compared to the focus 1.0?

i''ll probably train up to cave 1 ... go into large caverns and non of those gungho diving in small crevices. Im not that brave.

i thought i could save a few bucks with the focus 1.0 and spend it on training... or cry once?

I have the Focus 1. I rarely use the low setting on the focus 1 these days. Low is not very bright. The high setting on the Focus 1 is about the same brightness as the low setting on the Focus 2. The 1 is still a great light. I enjoy it and personally prefer it to several other good lights I have owned (21w hid, uwld ld35, hp50) due to the ease of adjusting the beam and performance in murky waters.

If you want to save some money, the Flare works nice aswell. The only thing you can’t do is switch to video mode and light up the cave:p

If you want to save some money, the Flare works nice aswell. The only thing you can’t do is switch to video mode and light up the cave:p

The new Flare EXP is a great choice as well, if you dont need a light with several hours of burntime.
I retired my NLS canister in favor of the EXP, very nice light and getting rid of the cable is nice.

Big fan of the focus over the flare for any cave diving- focusing your light down to a very tight spot is useful for signaling and pointing out tie offs, jumps, etc to your teammates. Its also a very punchy light and seems to penetrate further than some other (brighter) lights I’ve used that don’t have the focusable beam. I use a focus 1 and find it to be perfect for most applications. The focus 2 has 4 emitters and makes a weird windowpane pattern when focused down to the tightest spot which some ppl don’t seem to like.

I have the Focus 2 and rarely use the high setting. I don't think I'd need to go lower in power, so it is a good choice for my needs and our usually low-visibility waters.

I do like the flexibility of the wide beam for UW photography with a simple GoPro setup. It's certainly not as good as a video light, but often good enough. The single emitter on the Focus 2 is square-shaped, which is why when tightly focused, it will literally project the image of the emitter on whatever you're shining at. I don't mind it, and if I do, I just zoom out slightly and it gets spherical.

I specifically went for a corded light because I like the security of not being able to lose it. Primary light handling is part of the Tech pass and I learned light cord discipline (tucking the light cord into belt and dealing with detangling during primary donation), so I did find having one for the course very useful, though I believe it's not necessary to have a corded light to pass. I assume the instructor would still discuss or demo the light cord techniques if nobody has a corded light.

Big fan of the focus over the flare for any cave diving- focusing your light down to a very tight spot is useful for signaling and pointing out tie offs, jumps, etc to your teammates. Its also a very punchy light and seems to penetrate further than some other (brighter) lights I’ve used that don’t have the focusable beam. I use a focus 1 and find it to be perfect for most applications. The focus 2 has 4 emitters and makes a weird windowpane pattern when focused down to the tightest spot which some ppl don’t seem to like.

im actually turned off with the 4 emitters look when focused. that's why i was considering the 1.0 but worry that i might lose some light intensity? but apparently after 5m they're the same? is this correct?

i

is the price difference significant to the focus 1.0 ?

Where I live it’s around €300, I just got the flare because most people around me did dive with it.

so if the focus 2.0 is always used not in it's full power....
then focus 1.0 is enough... but to save a few bucks... get the flare which is basicaly a focus 1.0 with/out changing the focus.

am i correct?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom