Halcyon Focus 2.0 vs Focus 1.0

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i''ll probably train up to cave 1 ... go into large caverns and non of those gungho diving in small crevices. Im not that brave.

The same thing I used to think before to go for the cave1. Then I did the course, I realized that I do not care about large caverns/caves and enjoy much more "small" crevices (obviously no restrictions during a C1 course, so small is relative)

There are a couple of details about the light that you want to know before buying a proper primary, essentially about power, beam angle, brightness, how the light behave in murky waters. Frankly speaking, if I were you I would:
1 - get the tec pass, borrow different lights and try to understand their differences (speak with the instructor)
2 - dive a bit, then contact a cave1 instructor and ask him some suggestions

Be aware that at c1 level you may not need a primary light with a canister; because such lights can be very expensive, I wouldn't hurry up too much: take your time and make your evaluation before to buy it, and consider to purchase one even after the cave1.

FYI, technically speaking you can do even the tech1 without a canister light; but in the sea, if you let the light fall during the deco... well, the light is gone; in a cave you may be more likely to find it again, except if you are in very silty waters. However, you must be able to show that you can manage the cord. I have both a T1 and C1 card, and don't have a primary with a canister yet, but it's probably my next investment, as soon as I can start diving again (damn 2020!). Obviously, during the courses, the instructors gave me a cord light and challenged me (just for one day in the C1, and for the whole course in the case of the T1, if I remember well).

The same thing I used to think before to go for the cave1. Then I did the course, I realized that I do not care about large caverns/caves and enjoy much more "small" crevices (obviously no restrictions during a C1 course, so small is relative)

There are a couple of details about the light that you want to know before buying a proper primary, essentially about power, beam angle, brightness, how the light behave in murky waters. Frankly speaking, if I were you I would:
1 - get the tec pass, borrow different lights and try to understand their differences (speak with the instructor)
2 - dive a bit, then contact a cave1 instructor and ask him some suggestions

Be aware that at c1 level you may not need a primary light with a canister; because such lights can be very expensive, I wouldn't hurry up too much: take your time and make your evaluation before to buy it, and consider to purchase one even after the cave1.

FYI, technically speaking you can do even the tech1 without a canister light; but in the sea, if you let the light fall during the deco... well, the light is gone; in a cave you may be more likely to find it again, except if you are in very silty waters. However, you must be able to show that you can manage the cord. I have both a T1 and C1 card, and don't have a primary with a canister yet, but it's probably my next investment, as soon as I can start diving again (damn 2020!). Obviously, during the courses, the instructors gave me a cord light and challenged me (just for one day in the C1, and for the whole course in the case of the T1, if I remember well).

actually... im doing all that this january. already have a signed class for tec pass. the instructor will actually lend us different lights.

do tech 1 without a primary light? isn't it not a requirement to have a primary light?
you say you have a T1 and a C1 while not having a primary ? what do you do? borrow?

I’d probably just try to borrow a focus 1 and 2 and some point and see which one you prefer. Like I said I use the focus 1 and keep it on low most of the time which I find to be sufficient.

actually... im doing all that this january. already have a signed class for tec pass. the instructor will actually lend us different lights.

do tech 1 without a primary light? isn't it not a requirement to have a primary light?
you say you have a T1 and a C1 while not having a primary ? what do you do? borrow?

no no no no... let me rephrase... I have a primary light, but it's without a cord and a canister; only requirements for the primary light are about the goodman hold, the duration of the battery and maybe brightness/power etc. But having a primary light is a pre-requisite for the course, as far as I remember (you can check the GUE guidelines, which are a better source than me)

But if I remember well, a primary light is a requirement also for the tec-pass, so I was assuming that you already had one and you just wanted to upgrade it.

So you do not have a primary light, am I right? In this case, maybe it makes sense to evaluate a canister primary

EDIT: by the way, I did the tech 1 with a borrowed light that had a canister and a cord, but I brought with me my light; the instructor will be checking your equipment, and it must satisfies standards

actually... im doing all that this january. already have a signed class for tec pass.

I don't understand one thing... you already have a rec-pass and you are going for an upgrade class now, am I right? And you do not have yet any primary, right?

no no no no... let me rephrase... I have a primary light, but it's without a cord and a canister; only requirements for the primary light are about the goodman hold, the duration of the battery and maybe brightness/power etc. But having a primary light is a pre-requisite for the course, as far as I remember (you can check the GUE guidelines, which are a better source than me)

But if I remember well, a primary light is a requirement also for the tec-pass, so I was assuming that you already had one and you just wanted to upgrade it.

So you do not have a primary light, am I right? In this case, maybe it makes sense to evaluate a canister primary

EDIT: by the way, I did the tech 1 with a borrowed light that had a canister and a cord, but I brought with me my light; the instructor will be checking your equipment, and it must satisfies standards

Yes correct i dont have a primary light yet. For the class, the instructor is lending us his lights for the training. After the class, planning to get a primary, as i will be diving what i am training for. If im not mistaken ill need 25 dives to be able to sign up for cave1 or tec1.? Well those 25 dives will take time. But would be advantageous to have that primary for the training dives and future course.

I don't understand one thing... you already have a rec-pass and you are going for an upgrade class now, am I right? And you do not have yet any primary, right?
Actually im a padi rescue diver, doing both the gue fundamentals and tec pass this january

I’d probably just try to borrow a focus 1 and 2 and some point and see which one you prefer. Like I said I use the focus 1 and keep it on low most of the time which I find to be sufficient.

Very few locals are tec practitioners. Gue for that matter. So far only 1. And hes convinced me and a few others to go gue tec

Actually im a padi rescue diver, doing both the gue fundamentals and tec pass this january

I hope you finish the course with a tec-pass then :) but you know that there are other possible outcomes, like rec-pass, provisional, and even fail (although I never met a person who failed the course), don't you?

Anyway, if you are aiming for a tec-pass, discuss the equipment with your instructor; if I remember well, for the tec-pass you need to own all the basic equipment, including a primary light.

I hope you finish the course with a tec-pass then :) but you know that there are other possible outcomes, like rec-pass, provisional, and even fail (although I never met a person who failed the course), don't you?

Anyway, if you are aiming for a tec-pass, discuss the equipment with your instructor; if I remember well, for the tec-pass you need to own all the basic equipment, including a primary light.

At what point does one need to buy a primary. .?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom