Battery issue with Halcyon Focus 2.0

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

estresao

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm experiencing issues (again) with my Halcyon Focus 2.0, this time it seems is a battery issue... seems to be an internal connection problem.

Do someone knows how to open this battery. I could fix it if I can accesd to the wiring.

Thanks

Pictures attached

Attachments

• 20230116_185209.jpg
    20230116_185209.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 125
  • 20230116_191029.jpg
    20230116_191029.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 109
First, describe the problems that you are having; you haven't included any worthwhile context or detail.

Second, that's the “older style” 5.2ah battery and is opened up via the screws/connections on the top/connection-side. The “newer style” lacks that deep groove near the base and is opened up from the bottom.

Thanks whynot, I"ve already was told how to open it, but is was a little late because I had to send it to Halcyon technicians to fix it.

The problem I has was battery cable detached and the solution was as simple as welding it.

I don't understand why the battery is loose inside the canister... it end up breaking a cable connection. A friend of mine had exactly same problem at almost same time.

Got the same problem and couldn't find online any advice on how to inspect it.

This is how to open a Focus battery pack (the version with a groove on the bottom)

20230116_185209.jpg

• using a clamp, gently hold the first mm of the lid

WhatsApp Image 2023-09-01 at 10.03.38.jpeg

• unscrew the lid rotating the body counter clock wise, looking at it from the bottom

after a few turns you can release the lid from the clamp and rotate it with yours hands (in order to minimize denting)

• with an allen key unscrew the top screw connected to the (once soldered) plate
    There is no need to unscrew the other 2, they are useless.

WhatsApp Image 2023-09-01 at 10.03.37.jpeg

• solder wire back to plate and put it back in its place with screw and nut. Make sure wire is seated in the slot and doesn't bend too much.
    (opt) Check if there is voltage at the ends before closing lid

The problem seems to be the battery pack being able to move inside the canister, bending wires time after time until solder breaks.

To prevent it we could put a piece of foam at the bottom of the canister; don't make it too thick or you will pull cables while rotating to close the lid ( allowing to rotate the cap while attached to cables and battery seems to be the design reason behind this flaw)

WhatsApp Image 2023-09-01 at 10.03.38 (1).jpeg

Got the same problem and couldn't find online any advice on how to inspect it.

This is how to open a Focus battery pack (the version with a groove on the bottom)

View attachment 800432
  • using a clamp, gently hold the first mm of the lid

View attachment 800434

• unscrew the lid rotating the body counter clock wise, looking at it from the bottom

after a few turns you can release the lid from the clamp and rotate it with yours hands (in order to minimize denting)

• with an allen key unscrew the top screw connected to the (once soldered) plate
    There is no need to unscrew the other 2, they are useless.

View attachment 800435

• solder wire back to plate and put it back in its place with screw and nut. Make sure wire is seated in the slot and doesn't bend too much.
    (opt) Check if there is voltage at the ends before closing lid

The problem seems to be the battery pack being able to move inside the canister, bending wires time after time until solder breaks.

To prevent it we could put a piece of foam at the bottom of the canister; don't make it too thick or you will pull cables while rotating to close the lid ( allowing to rotate the cap while attached to cables and battery seems to be the design reason behind this flaw)

View attachment 800433
Many thanks!!!

So, Halcyon is using 2700 mAh 18650 cells?

Seems like you could do up your own battery pack with 3300 mAh NCR18650 cells and upgrade your light from 60 Wh to 73 Wh while you had it apart. $30 worth of cells and some time. Assuming you have the spot welder.

I wonder if you could take it to a brick-and-mortar battery store and get them to redo it for you to the upgraded specs.

So, Halcyon is using 2700 mAh 18650 cells?
That’s what I think they used in the legacy/old 5.2 ah pack at least. The pack shown in this post, with the groove at the bottom, is the old style pack.

Seems like you could do up your own battery pack with 3300 mAh NCR18650 cells and upgrade your light from 60 Wh to 73 Wh while you had it apart. $30 worth of cells and some time. Assuming you have the spot welder.

Or use 3500 mah NCR18650GA cells - I have a tad bit over 7 AH in one of old-style packs. I also have 2 others that I keep in rotation - not insanely expensive in terms of Halcyon prices at right around $325/pack.

That’s what I think they used in the legacy/old 5.2 ah pack at least. The pack shown in this post, with the groove at the bottom, is the old style pack.

Or use 3500 mah NCR18650GA cells - I have a tad bit over 7 AH in one of old-style packs. I also have 2 others that I keep in rotation - not insanely expensive in terms of Halcyon prices at right around $325/pack.

Good point on the 3500s. I just bought a bunch of NCR18650GA. You'd think I'd remember they are 3500.

So, 78Wh, versus the 60 that the light came with.

It's $30 worth of cells. Paying $325 for that seems insane.

Also kinda crazy that they don't just make a carrier to hold the cells, so you can swap them out easily, instead of welding them together. It might make the light a little fatter, but that seems worth it. It's already a big ole fatty anyway.

Back
Top Bottom